Menu
High divorce rate forces young couples to sign prenuptial agreements?
Aug 8, 2010 02:09
  • SUNNYDREAM
Last night, I chatted about the prenuptial agreements with my friend. She just told me that her best female friend planned to buy a car since their apartment was far away from their company. Her friend told her plan to her colleagues and then her colleagues suggested that she should sign a prenuptial agreement with her husband just in case they divorce one day.

Presently, signing prenuptial agreements seems very popular among young couples. Maybe, it has something to do with the high divorce rate in China. People sign this contract just to secure their properties in case they get divorced one day.

But do you think it is a good idea to sign this marriage contract?

Personally, I don’t think so. The prenuptial agreements will definitely have adverse effects on both sides. The money matter does affect their relationships. It is just like two guys go Dutch after they have a meal together. The difference is “you have to make an agreement before having dinner together”. If two couples go Dutch on everything, can they still be called “couple”?

Signing such an agreements shows that both sides are unsure about their marriage and their future. They even don’t believe that the one he/she marries.
Aug 8, 2010 02:33
  • RAINDROP
I think it is applicable, especially for girls sake. It is not a simple TRUST thing any more. If a girl will be let down one day, she will lose everything. Lovers turn to be very insecure these days as the higher price of apartment. So, for many young girls, they would prefer work hard for their future house than marry a Rich 2nd Generation. Or the prenuptial agreements is necessary.
Aug 8, 2010 02:57
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Girls search for what we called the Rich 2nd Generation when they are of an age to get married. For most of their parents, they also think so. It will be a dilemma about this issue-the high divorce rate. this reminds me of "Life is dear, love is dearer. Both can be given up for freedom" Here the freedom should be transfered to "property".
Aug 8, 2010 22:02
Money is a very sensitive issue. Frriends flare up for money. Lovers are no exception. If my future girlfriend requires to sign such an agreement, I will sign it. Marriage itself is a contract. Some people think that the prenuptial agreements can ensure that both sides can carry out the contract well.
Aug 8, 2010 22:17
  • DAPHNEB
I agree the prenuptial agreements can ensure both sides. But somehow it may help to give a push for high divorce rate. With the contract in hand, they do not need to care about the bad consequences anymore. Sometimes, if they were not utterly incompatible, they will easily ask for a divorce, in a fit of pique maybe.

For the weak side in a couple, marriage runs risks.
Aug 11, 2010 21:18
  • JIMMYB
When they get married, they have already made the plan for the worst. Then why do you marry him or her? Signing such an agreement definitely shows that both sides are not confident about their marriage. If you don't trust him or her, better leave him/her as soon as possible. Then you won't worry that he/she will divide your properties.
Aug 11, 2010 23:21
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Jimmy, life is not a fairy tale, but a bit dark in every aspect we may concern. I am not going to spread pessimism or sth, but too many people warn us that marriage is like milk- once sour, it can never be made good and it smells up the refrigerator if you leave it there.
Post a Reply to: High divorce rate forces young couples to sign prenuptial agreements?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code