Menu
Is America addicted to war?
Apr 12, 2011 02:40
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 31 vote(s)
  2. 10 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
From Iraq to Afghanistan and now to Libya, the US seems to be addicted to war. BUT the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were thought to be foolish and unnecessary, according to STEPHEN M. WALT.

"It was clear to nearly everyone that George W. Bush had launched a foolish and unnecessary war in Iraq, and then compounded the error by mismanaging it (and the war in Afghanistan too).” He writes in an article.

He also sums up top 5 reasons why the US keep getting into foolish fights.

No.1 Because the US can.
No.2 The U.S. Has No Serious Enemies.
No.3 The All-Volunteer Force.
No.4 It's the Establishment, Stupid.
No.5 Congress Has Checked Out.

The article link:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/04/04/is_america_addicted_to_war

Apr 12, 2011 03:33
  • BOBERT
Stephen M. Walt missed the main reason.......OIL!
Apr 12, 2011 04:35
  • ERIC1981
Whatever the outcome of this poll,I don't think the People of America are addicted to war.Only the Politicians.
Apr 12, 2011 04:54
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC1981

Whatever the outcome of this poll,I don't think the People of America are addicted to war.Only the Politicians.

You make a good point. Perhaps it could even be said that it's Wall Street which is addicted to war. The poiticians simply facilitate it.
Apr 12, 2011 21:29
American people elected Obama as the president, hoping that he could do something different from his predecessor Gorge Bush. Now it turns out that they are wrong. The winner of Nobel Peace Prize ordered the US to join the war in Libya. The politicians are no difference.
Apr 13, 2011 06:15
  • DODGER
The title to this post is an interesting one, more so because it comes from a country which has ‘no vote’; were Facebook and Twitter are blocked, along with my email, (again) and were soon, all mobile phone users will be tracked via GPS. Apparently that is a traffic management initiative.
Give me a break, Dodger.
Apr 13, 2011 08:37
  • GEORGECOMBEY
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONELYJOURNEY

American people elected Obama as the president, hoping that he could do something different from his predecessor Gorge Bush. Now it turns out that they are wrong. The winner of Nobel Peace Prize ordered the US to join the war in Libya. The politicians are no difference.

Don't blame Obama alone. Blame the whole congress and senate. They're the one who vote for decisions. The president simply have to say yes or no. Sometimes he maybe enticed to say yes due to pressure and political moves.
Apr 13, 2011 15:26
  • BOBERT
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

The title to this post is an interesting one, more so because it comes from a country which has ‘no vote’; were Facebook and Twitter are blocked, along with my email, (again) and were soon, all mobile phone users will be tracked via GPS. Apparently that is a traffic management initiative.
Give me a break, Dodger.

Another good point and well made DODGER. But be careful, or they will block you here as well.
Apr 14, 2011 06:09
  • LARRYBOY
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC1981

Thank you Eric you summed it up correctly. and Lonely Journey your wrong!! research the statistics first before throwing all the American people in the same bucket. But you can only assume of what little information you have to make such statements because of where you live. The last thing the American people want is war! Think of where you are at and what freedoms you have. What kind of control is over your life?
Apr 14, 2011 06:16
GUEST12982 Yes ROBERT is correct, Oil is one of the reasons overlooked here.
Another one: BIG MONEY. War is a way for the rich to prosper, including the manufacturers of military supplies, weapons, fighter jets, rockets, missiles, and so on...
Apr 15, 2011 01:16
America is addicted to ideas of fake masculinity and distorted patriotism. A real man does what other real men tell him. A real man likes to kill other men. Someone insults America, he insults an American's manhood. America is only the best country unless you bomb someone into saying so. That's the problem.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is America addicted to war?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code