Menu
Why do they eat with their hands?
Apr 8, 2012 22:18
GUEST87169 To some people eating with your hands is a religion way and they get good deeds for doing that.
Jun 23, 2012 04:31
GUEST93140
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST99227

Americans have many finger foods too. Why is eating with hands suddenly a foreign concept? Do you eat fries with your fork? Taco with your fork? Burrito with your fork? Chips with your spoon? Fork for your soup? It's just more convenient.

You eat soup with your hands????????? Is that how you diet in your neck of the woods:-)
Feb 6, 2013 01:54
GUEST98364 its not that they dont know how to use the chop stick and fork. its all about the culture and tradition. dont under estimate indians at any cause of time
Mar 29, 2013 13:02
GUEST46436 Hello Friends i am from India and now live in Canada the right ans is we people use hands to eat coz In Vedic texts, food is a goddess and fingers are the midget sages known as Valakhilyas. The sages carry the goddess to our mouths so that we sustain ourselves. In Jyotisha, the five fingers are associated with the five elements— earth (little finger), water (ring finger), air (middle finger), ether (index finger) and fire (thumb). Thus when we eat by hand, the five elements get symbolically connected with the food.
Mar 30, 2013 21:21
  • WANHU
Many people explained based on theories and interpretations. The Chinese, I am told, have been using chopsticks for more than 5000 years ago. When were fork, spoon and knife were introduced? The Indians and other people eating with their hands sometimes due to religious reasons though not an obligation. The Indonesians and Malaysians that I observed, washed their hands thoroughly before and after eating. It's part of their culture. Even KFC used to promote: finger licking good.

How do they make wine wine from the grapes? I once had the opportunity to visit a vineyard in France, and we were told grapes should be picked by hands and not machine(s). The grapes are crushed with human feet before processing.

Wan
Apr 1, 2013 04:07
  • BBQQ
The grapes are crushed with human feet before processing.

Exactly, Wan. I saw this in the movie "A Walk in the Cloud". It's an old movie but I love it very much. Some clean freaks might never drink grape wine if they know this.
Apr 2, 2013 11:11
  • WANHU
So, it's a matter of tradition and culture. I can use chopsticks, fork & spoon, and also hand. Depends where i have my meals. With bare hands, I will make sure I wash it thoroughly before and after.
Wan
Apr 9, 2013 02:20
  • BBQQ
Yes, Wanhu. We say "Ru Xiang Sui Su (入乡随俗)" in Chinese and it means "When you are in Rome, Do as Romans do".
Sep 4, 2013 10:09
GUESTSCOTT Using hands in the middle east is a daily life.
Even the Royal Family, it is Sunnah in Islam, of course hand is wash properly.. Using hands also will make you sure and confident that that is clean not like with the utensil in the resto you are not sure how they clean it..
Nov 27, 2016 06:10
GUEST89177 well that's rude.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do they eat with their hands?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code