Menu
How to celebrate Double Seventh Day?
Aug 5, 2011 02:58
Double Seventh Day falls on July 7 on Chinese lunar calendar. During this festival, young wives worship Zhi Nv (weaving girl) and wish to be as pretty, clever and dexterous as Zhi Nv.

According to the legend, Zhi Nv is a fairy from heaven. Once she came down to the earth and met Niu Lang (cowherd), and they eventually fell in love with each other. Thus, they got married and had two kids. Unfortunately, the Queen Mother from the heaven knew that Zhi Nv married a man on earth. She was very angry and came down to the earth to bring Zhi Nv back to heaven. Niu Lang didn’t want Zhi Nv back to heaven. Thus, he brought their two kids and ran off after Zhi Nv. At the time when he was almost to catch up with Zhi Nv, the Queen Mother took off her hair clasp and drew the Milky Way to stop Niu Lang. From then on, Zhi Nv and Niu Lang were separated by the Milky Way.

Their love eventually moved the Queen Mother. So she allowed them to see each other on July 7 according to Chinese lunar calendar. On that day, millions of magpies fly to the Milky Way and form a bridge so that Niu Lang and Zhi Nv can meet each other.

As I said at the beginning, young wives will worship Zhi Nv on that day and wish them to be a woman like Zhi Nv. However, this festival has become another Valentine’s Day. The young girls never worship Zhi Nv on July 7. Instead, their boyfriend or husband will send them a bunch of beautiful flower and prepare for a candlelight dinner. The traditional celebration has gone.

Why do we celebrate our traditional festivals like those western festivals? Can’t we do other things to celebrate this unique festival except spending a lot of money on flowers, candlelight dinner and romantic movies? Girls, do you think that romance is only about flowers, candlelight dinner, touching movies…..?

PS: Well, some girls may think that I am a stingy, unromantic and ugly bachelor after reading what I said. It is ok if you think so.
Aug 8, 2011 03:52
  • JIMMYB
Lonely, I read an article about Double Seventh Day. The article says that Double Seventh Day is not Chinese Valentine's Day. As you said, the main activity is that Young couples worship Zhi Nv and wish to be a woman like her.

Today, the businessmen have done their best to promote this festival. The flowers are sold at higher prices than usual. Boys can send sewing stuff as gift to their girls. Fewer and fewer young girls can do needlework today in China.
Aug 16, 2011 03:10
  • KEVIN0518
Jimmyb, people are willing to spend their money on roses and candlelight dinner. The businessmen will earn no money if no one like their idea.
Aug 16, 2011 20:42
  • LINGYUXISU
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB View Post

Lonely, I read an article about Double Seventh Day. The article says that Double Seventh Day is not Chinese Valentine's Day. As you said, the main activity is that Young couples worship Zhi Nv and wish to be a woman like her.

Today, the businessmen have done their best to promote this festival. The flowers are sold at higher ...

If boys send sewing stuff as gift to their girls, there is a great chance they will get dumped. Girls will think you take her as servant, rather than a GF.
Aug 16, 2011 21:06
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINGYUXISU

If boys send sewing stuff as gift to their girls, there is a great chance they will get dumped. Girls will think you take her as servant, rather than a GF.

No wonder few and few girls can do sewing work now. What a pity! I have some old but cute small shoes which are made by my grandma. She once made us (my cousin and my sister) clothes and embroidered cotton shoes. My mom also made clothes for me too but she couldn't make delicate embroidered cotton shoes.

Today, many of girls even can not use needle to mend socks for their husbands. Don't be surprised. My friend told me this. He got married with a pretty girl but the girl can not do any needlework let alone knitting a sweater. Also she can not cook meals too.

By the way, sending sewing stuff as a gift doesn't mean "I want her to be my servant."

LINGYUXISU, do you have a sewing box (it contains needle, cotton and other stuff)?

I do have one. I can not do great needlework but I can mend my sock and sew on buttons at least. When I went to colleage, my mom gave me a sewing box and told me that I needed to learn to mend my sock and clothes on my own because she couldn't come to my college and do it for me.

I'd like to start a survery here: How many Chinese girls have a sewing box at home?
Aug 17, 2011 21:34
  • LINGYUXISU
Jimmy, that's how we girls think if you send a sewing box as a gift.

I do have a sewing box, with needles and threads in to do the simple needle work. But I don't know how to make clothes and shoes. I also don't have time to do them. I'm not a full-time house-wife.
Aug 17, 2011 22:01
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINGYUXISU

Jimmy, that's how we girls think if you send a sewing box as a gift.

I do have a sewing box, with needles and threads in to do the simple needle work. But I don't know how to make clothes and shoes. I also don't have time to do them. I'm not a full-time house-wife.

LINGYUXISU, I believe that not all girls have the same thought.
Aug 22, 2011 04:22
  • CHARLOTT
I remembered that I spent a whole week learning to knit a scarf when I was in high school. It was a very difficult job. Actually, I knitted the scarf for a boy. Unfortunately, he didn't accept my gift and told me that he already had a girlfriend. How stupid I was!

Well, I don't regret knitting that scarf because I learned the skill. I will learn to knit sweaters when I am free. In the future, I can knit scarfs and sweaters for my husband and kids.
Post a Reply to: How to celebrate Double Seventh Day?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code