Menu
Visitors to China Must Register in 24 hrs or you will be fined!
Apr 7, 2014 22:38
guest25171 I'm staying for an extended stay in a suburb of Shanghai. We are here for two and a half months and have a young son, Mark Alexander, who will be one year old April 13th. We were called down to the police station and fined 700 RMB for my child and myself because we didn't register at the local police station 24 hrs after our arrival. This is a new policy in China which you will not be informed of, but is written on the back of the registration card you receive on the airplane on your way to China. As for me, this is my fourth time to China and I did not bother to look at the back of the card, so I didn't know. I love Chinese people and culture and this post is just a word of warning for anyone now travelling to China-- make sure you register within 24 hrs at your friendly neighborhood police station or you will be fined and they will get a bonus-- meanwhile, someone will still be selling drugs on the corner one block down....
Apr 16, 2014 03:37
  • GAFFER
This is not a new policy and has been in force for many years. Anyone staying in private accommodatiom MUST register within 24 hours (48 hours in rural areas). If you are staying in a 3*+ hotel that is registered for foreign guests they will take care of registration for you.
Apr 18, 2014 00:15
  • JOHNO5175
Pretty old rule.... You are lucky it was only 700 yuan fine.

May 27, 2014 10:17
GUEST92181
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST25171

This is a new policy in China which you will not be informed of

No no no. It most certainly is NOT a new policy! Also, you was informed of it but chose not to bother...
Quote:

written on the back of the registration card you receive on the airplane on your way to China.

I think you find it's also with the VISA information when you apply.
Quote:

I did not bother to look at the back of the card, so I didn't know.

Well there you go, ignorance is not a defence in law!
Quote:

As for me, this is my fourth time to China

Oh my god! Four times in a foreign country and you never even checked on rules and requirements? Like the other post said, you were lucky only to have been fined the amount you did, they had the legal right to send you to jail, and actually in this case, that may have done you more good.
Post a Reply to: Visitors to China Must Register in 24 hrs or you will be fined!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code