Menu
Potential visa trouble for Chinese American?
Jul 16, 2014 16:16
  • GENSUKI
My sister wants to travel with me to China for vacation. This is her first time to China. She was born in Taishan, China and came to US as a toddler in 1951 and has a travel affidavit with her name as Leu Heung Chen. Leu Heung is her real given name, but Chen is her paper son name. Our father came over as a paper son. Once school began, she used Louise Chen, as Louise was easier to pronounce than Leu Heung.

In 1971, she got an attorney’s letter explaining her name transitioning to Louise Leu Heung Chen. She needed this letter in order to obtain a government job, which required citizenship. In 1995, she became a naturalized citizen. Our mother urged her to insert our real surname (Wong) into her name. So her naturalized name became Louise Leu Heung Wong Chen. She got her first passport under this name.

What do you think her chances are of getting a visa? She doesn’t want to book flights until she has one. She is working with a visa agency.

Jul 16, 2014 20:41
GUESTI9982 GENSUKI, I think she still has a chance to get a Chinese visa. Since she can't provide the invitation letter, return air ticket and hotel booking in China are required. If she can't provide these two required documents, I am afraid that the embassy won't accept her application.
Jul 17, 2014 09:02
  • GENSUKI
I didn't mention that part of our trip is with a tour group and they will provide the invitation letter. I believe you need invitation letter or proof of bookings, but not both. Our concern is if the Chinese officials will reject her due to her various name changes.
Jul 19, 2014 20:40
GUEST19982 GENSUKI,

The consular officers have the final say. We don't know what decision they will make upon her situation. Did she have previous passport? If not, I still think she has the chance. It's no use to guess what decision the officials will make. Sometimes, those who have all required documents are rejected and they are not given any reason why they are rejected. You need to give it a try. Otherwise, she has no chance.
Post a Reply to: Potential visa trouble for Chinese American?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code