Menu
Want to Teach in China, have a dismissed charge in Canada
Jan 5, 2015 12:26
guest21779 Hey everyone, I am currently looking in to teaching in China, only rub is that in the last year i received a charge for Posession of Marijuana. The charge was conditionally dismissed (condition being 10 hours community service). Will this effect my chances to teach in China?

I understand that Chinese work visa's now require applicants to obtain a CNCC (Certificate of No Criminal Conviction) to get the Visa, but i dont have a conviction. My criminal background is not clear but i do not have a conviction to my name.

I've also seen differing reports on whether or not the CNCC is actuall required so any help one way or the other would be great. As you can imagine this sort of thing is really bumming me out, as i'd hate this small mistake to screw me out of a job.

Thanks for any help.
Jan 6, 2015 22:34
  • SOLOTO007
Hi there,
Try to apply a L visa or M visa, then when you find a job here in China, apply and change to Z visa
Jan 7, 2015 20:25
GUEST64238 GUEST21779,

It depends on what documents required by Chinese embassy in your country. According to what I know, Non-criminal record is required in many cases especially when you apply for Q1, S1 and Z type. I think you may try to contact Chinese embassy in your country to confirm whether a non-criminal record is required.
Mar 5, 2015 21:25
GUEST79118 I also have a question about criminal records in China. I live in the United States and was convicted of 2 DWIs and 1 felony possession in 2011. Most of what I have heard says that it shouldn't be much of a problem for me getting a visa...but that some schools will want a background check. Does anyone have any input as to similar experiences? Any help would be much appreciated!
Mar 6, 2015 20:36
GUEST546789
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST79118 View Post

I also have a question about criminal records in China. I live in the United States and was convicted of 2 DWIs and 1 felony possession in 2011. Most of what I have heard says that it shouldn't be much of a problem for me getting a visa...but that some schools will want a background check. Does anyone have any input as to similar experiences? ...

It's true. I guess you are going to apply for the Z type, right? If so, first you need your employer to help you acquire the work permit. Sometimes, non-criminal record is required. If you can't get this, then you won't get the work permit. As a result, you can't get the Z visa.

So I think you should confirm with your employer wheher a non-criminal record is required.
Post a Reply to: Want to Teach in China, have a dismissed charge in Canada
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code