Menu
Residence Permit expires day before flight
May 13, 2015 00:24
guest97134 Ok so here's the simple question. I am currently working in China but I will be leaving and have a flight home to America on July 1st at 3:55PM. The problem is my Residence Permit expires on June 30th. My flight is out of Shanghai from PuDong. The question is, if I go to the airport on July 1st with a Residence Permit that is less than 24 hours expired will they take action and not let me get on the plane or will it maybe be ok because it's under 24 hours?

The other option is to travel to Macau/HK, fly back on June 30th or July 1st and apply for the 72 hour Visa Exemption. I guess the other question is if I fly back on June 30th (the day the Permit expires so I still technically have it) can I apply for the 72 hour Visa or do I need to fly back the morning of July 1st?

Thanks
May 13, 2015 21:13
GUEST67989 If you use your resident permit to fly on July 1, then you will overstay one day. Then you will be fined for your overstay. I wouldn't suggest that you should do this because your overstaying record might cause trouble for reapplying Chinese visa in the future.

Yes, you can fly to HK or Macau in order to make use of 72hours free transit. If you transit in Shanghai, then 72 hours is counted from 00:00 next day. So it's ok for you to fly back to Shanghai from HK/Macau on June 29 or 30.
May 26, 2015 23:03
  • BJLEEO
Normally speaking, there should be no problem for you to take the plane on July 1.
Your residence permit expires exactly on 24:00 of June 30 (0:00 of July 1).
You will take the plane at around 16:00. It is 16 hours delay.

And you have the ticket back home. You are not on purpose to overstay.
And Putong airport is an international one, who deals with the cases like you frequently. If it is not a big airport, you can definately have trouble.

I ever saw the topics concerned in internet. If it is 1 day overstay, you may be given 1 day fine (500 RMB). Then you can take the plane. Some even didn't be fined. It is not a recent case, no idea what they do now. The airport frontier inspection have the rights to deal with short-time overstay.

If you overstay many days, definately you have to go back to Public Security Bureau to pay the fine, then in turn get an exit visa.

You can ask your Chinese friend or colleague to help you call Shanghai Pudong airport frontier inspection (上海浦东机场边防检查站). Anyway they have the final say.
Post a Reply to: Residence Permit expires day before flight
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code