Menu
Visa duration too short
Aug 12, 2015 10:46
guestGUESTDP Hello!
I was issued a Chinese Visa using a 3rd party agency (J2 category, since I'll be there for work initially), and it was only granted for 12 days. It's already been put in my passport and finalized.

However I already have prepaid lodging and other activities (as a tourist) for an additional week after the duration expires. What are my options to extend my stay? Can I go to the Consulate in NYC tomorrow and get this extended or stack an additional (L) Visa? I leave for Beijing 6 days from today. I am hoping I don't have to cancel the 2nd part of my trip or leave the country and apply for a new Visa and come back.
Is overstaying my Visa, and willing to pay the fees an option?
Please help! Thanks!
Aug 12, 2015 21:30
GUEST566723 guestGUESTDP,

J2 is issued to journalists. If you work temporarily in China as journalist, then you should have J2. You can't change it into L type. Meanwhile, you can't have two visas in your passport. If you reapply for a L type, then your J2 type is automatically void.

J2 can be extended when you arrive. However, you need to provide a proof that you really need an extension. If not, you should ask if the local entry and exit management can issue a L type to you. If they don't, they you might go to HK to apply for a L if you want to continue your trip.
Post a Reply to: Visa duration too short
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code