Menu
personal goods through customs into China
Nov 20, 2015 23:18
  • MIKEOE2
Thanks for taking the time to give advice. You're right about the officials.
I am just becoming more and more frustrated and angry about this runaround we are getting. It shouldn't have to be this difficult, especially when the stuff I am trying to bring in is not (IMO) 'dangerous' to China.

Dec 26, 2015 20:29
  • MIKEOE2
One month since my last post and I still have not succeeded in getting my stuff through customs. All the paperwork is in. The teaching contract is OK to use as evidence in lieu of the 12 mth residence permit. The problem now is because customs in Lianyungang made us itemise goods according to 11 different tariff codes; an electric guitar has a different code to an acoustic one etc. Shanghai thinks there are 6 boxes unaccountable for (I only have 5 boxes, which was known all along) because they understand the number 11 as boxes, not as I have stated.
Today is the deadline and cannot do anything on the weekend. Still living in hope that it can be sorted out soon. At least the agent in Shanghai has acknowledged the latest problem is not entirely my fault.
Jan 18, 2016 21:43
  • MIKEOE2
Finally - through customs and about to be freighted to me. Only 4 months!!

Agent now wants 12000 - on top of the 8000 already paid: a total of 20000 rmb.
To cover over 2000 for storage, the customs fees (??), agency fees (??), repacking in timber for freight, freight of 1200.
We figure they have made a huge profit out of all this.

OH and I haven't included the airfares and accommodation, to redo forms etc.
For goods worth about 3-4 thousand dollars.
Jan 19, 2016 20:04
GUESTDICK Really absurd! Anyway, it's really a good lesson. Next time try to send your parcel via your national post office. It might be slower but at least you wouldn't be bothered by customs issue.

I don't know how foreign post offices deal with their customers' parcels. China Post usually tells you clearlly what you can post. They will confirm this when you post parcels via them.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: personal goods through customs into China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code