Menu
Planned travel in July/August: Sichuan, Yunnan, Xinjiang
Jun 22, 2005 18:38
  • KOALATHEBEAR
Hi

LOTS of questions below.

I have a break from language classes from mid July until September 14 and my original plan was

- July: visit Sichuan and Yunnan in that order
- August visit Xinjiang

The problem is, when I a poring over the Lonely Planet now the distance are quite massive and it's a lot more expensive than I had imagine. Given how far away Xinjiang was, I was planning to split my trips into two as set out above, but now I'm wondering if I should try to do all three in one big hit. Does anyone have any views?

Also, does anyone have views about flying vs train/bus?

Also I'd love to go to Kasgar but it's an expensive plane flight from Urumuqi with flights frequently cancelled and the train trip is 30 hours. I also note that once I get to Kashgar, I'm not quite sure how I get back to Beijing! Do I fly /train it back to Urumuqi and then head back to Beijing?

Personally I'd love to be able to go down the Silk Road and see the abandoned cities in the desert etc but have no idea how to go about doing it and the tours on this website are quite expensive!!!!

As to Sichuan / Yunnan, has anyone been to the Bamboo Sea near Yibin and did you like it? Also, if I have approximately 2 weeks in Sichuan and Yunnan, can you give me any recommendations for "must visits?" At this stage, I'm planning to visit:
Sichuan: Panda reserve, E Mei Shan, Bamboo Sea
Yunnan: Dali

Any other suggestions and details would be much appreciated! I'm starting to feel very daunted by the impending travel!

Jun 22, 2005 23:30
  • GAZ07
I'm in Sichuan at this very moment and plan on travelling to Yunnan. From what i'm told by fellow travellers, i can tell you the following:-

Sichuan
*Chengdu Panda Reserve - i loved it.
*Emei Shan - good, but not spectacular. Travel with a partner.
*Leshan - 71 metre carved buddha in a cliff. I'm going there tomorrow. Again, unmissable.
*Songpan - I've heard from backpackers that the horse trekks here are great, although i havent done it. (1-12 days approx 120 yuan/day plus park fees)
*Litang - Only once every 12 years there is a special year of Buddhist celebration. This is the year. I'm not sure what this is 100% but maybe some1 else can tell you...

Yunnan
*Lijiang - Old city, no traffic, excellent atmosphere, "traditional china" don't miss this place.
*Stone Forest (Kunming) - Stones shooting out of the ground in a bizarre landscape. I've heard it's good, but expensive.

Thats all i know, i hope this helps you.
Oh, and yeah, China can be expensive (Emei Shan etrance fee alone is 120 yuan)

=(
Jun 29, 2005 16:59
  • KOALATHEBEAR
Thanks so much. I'm actually going to travel on my own because I got sick of negotiating with potential travel buddies. It was too hard ..... Do you think that will be a problem? I'm female but I heard it's quite safe to travel through Sichuan and Yunnan on your own.
Jul 2, 2005 18:16
  • LOISHALE83
Hi,
i am in pretty much the same boat as you, i have 2 months off now to travel, am female and plan to go alone. I know what you mean about negotiating where to go and stuff. I am planning on going to around sichuan, yunnan etc too. I am pretty scared but can't wait. If you do want a travel partner who is pretty relaxed and doesn't mind where i go then let me know. If we do want to go to different places then we can just split up and meet back up somewhere else...
Jul 4, 2005 09:43
  • DEE0228
have you made your own an itinerary ?
In Sichuan, Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong Valley, Panda reserve can not be missed. in Yunnan, Lijiang is the most-go place, old town, Yulong Mountain, tiger leaping gorge are all worth a visit
Jul 7, 2005 00:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there, You must be a fellow Ozzzie. Your plans for Xinjiang are managable. We went last July/August In fact we covered a lot more than you in just five weeks. Have to keep moving though. Fly to Urumuqi, it's a little expensive but worth it. Kashgar is a long way but heard that the Sunday markets are a must see. My mum wanted to see the silk road and while it ain't what it used to be it is a great trip all the same. Yes it's safe travelling on your own but it's good to have company in those more isolated places and have some one to share expenses. We really enjoyed Turpan, skipped Dunhuang and busses most of the way to Lanzhou, taking time out to visit the "wall" and fort at Jiayuguan
Jul 7, 2005 00:51
  • JABAROOTOO
I'm in Chongqing, just 4/6 hours and just looking for a few short excursions around here until another friend arrives from home. One was to Yibin area if you're interested and the time is suitable, I'm pretty relaxed about what I do and where I go but it's nice to have company. Drop me a line if you are coming through in mid July.
We went from Emei by train to Panzhihua and onto Lijiang by bus, last summer and reccommend it. Was a great way to see a lot of country. Don't miss Lijiang. I'd pass up Dali if time was pressing.
Apr 20, 2009 15:34
GUEST15576 greetings please I need your good advice , ill be in Chengdu then thought of going to Urumuqi , please tell me more , should I fly or go by train , from Chengdu , then from Urumuqi to Beijing by train or by air what you think how long is enough in Urumuqi

Thanks
kelly gmail.com|kvkellylee
Apr 25, 2009 08:08
  • ELLYSE
I would suggest you fly both legs, unless you're awfully short of money and have a lot of time. There might not be direct Chengdu -- Urumqi flights. When are you travelling?
Are you intending to visit Urumqi only, or other destinations in Xinjiang as well?
Apr 13, 2010 07:50
GUEST17123 hi
anyone in xinjiang province can give help about travel info there
Post a Reply to: Planned travel in July/August: Sichuan, Yunnan, Xinjiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code