Menu
Retirement in China
Jan 23, 2008 14:41
  • APAULT
Steve: If you don't tell them, no-one else will.
Jan 25, 2008 02:34
  • NEWBBIE
Well I've got another 8-10 years before my retirement but am seriously thinking about that, can anybody tell or advise me is it possible for a foreigner to get hold of a farmland, built a beautiful house on it, rear some fishes, or farm animals, or even into dog breeding?I am actually think of starting it straight away and start to do things in stages.
Jan 25, 2008 10:22
GUEST18479 hi I am very interested in the retirement/holiday properties in Xiamen. Please send more information or your email address to gmail.com|etojames so I can contact you. thanks
Jan 25, 2008 17:37
  • APAULT
Sure it's all possible though f\rmland might be a bit of an issue and it would be difficult without a local partner. Partners are easy to find, honest ones might be a bit harder to find. You should look for someone who has local contacts and you should also expect to grease a few palms of those contacts.
Jan 25, 2008 20:05
  • FLOATINGZEN
If you are worried about congested, chaotic, noisy, dirty Chinese cities, check out this article:

Coastal Chinese city offers respite for Olympic tourists By Ben Blanchard

XIAMEN, China, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Dirty, polluted, and congested -- China's large cities have an unenviably poor reputation.

But Xiamen, located on the southeast coast two-and-a-half hours by plane from Beijing, is so different from that image that you could be forgiven for thinking you are no longer in China.

Long, clean beaches, lush vegetation, fresh seafood, beautiful old buildings and a relaxed atmosphere, Xiamen is refreshingly different, a hidden treasure.

It makes an ideal place for a long weekend city break, especially as an escape from the chaos and construction of capital city Beijing, host of this year's Summer Olympic Games.

Tourism is booming in Xiamen, helped in part by the opening of low cost flights from Southeast Asia. Last year, Xiamen played host to more than one million overseas visitors.

Xiamen is one of the country's wealthier cities, thanks to its strategic coastal position which has helped it attract billions of dollars in foreign investment, and it's only a hour's flying time from Hong Kong.

For more information about retiring in Xiamen, China, check out: http://www.chinese-culture.net/html/rv_subscribe.html
Jan 27, 2008 01:20
GUEST16775 As far as I know there are several factors that ca potencialy effect your SS benefits.

1. Age at retirement?
2. If you are living full time. I don't think you have to report imcome there. I will check with my son (Tax Attorney) and let you know for sure. Personally intend to teach English there in Chengdu. That will give me approx 800.00US (approx 6,500 RMB) a month for 15 to 20 hours a week, plus two weeks vacation< health benefits and free manderin lessons. Thyats a great income in China. 3500 RMB is considered a good income. Check out Chengdu, its a great city and not to many foriegners.
Apr 25, 2008 13:12
GUEST16769 Depends on how old you are. I am over65 and have no cap on SS

Jerry
Apr 27, 2008 09:30
  • JARCHACK
I spent 3 1/2 months in China last year and will return this year but stay on as a teacher. I have a pretty successful computer business in the US but like China so much I would close up shop in a heartbeat. I still have many years to retirement but staying long term is easier if you have a business there or are married to a Chinese citizen.
May 29, 2008 21:16
GUEST15411 my wife and I are interested to retire in China. Please provide more information
regarding
1. locations of the retirement apartments/villages
2. services available
3 cost
my email address is hotmail.com|choi494
Thank you

Raymond
Jun 3, 2008 00:22
GUESTLARRY I guess I am a guest here. I am currently writing and camming with a Chinese lady in China. She will go where I decide to live. i assume this is their culture as she is of old traditional ways. Still, my soon visit to China for three weeks may find that I might just like to take up residency there--should we follow through with plans to marry. For the three weeks I am there, I assume all I need is a passport and not a visa--am I correct or should I start moves to get a visa for the two or three weeks I plan to stay.
As well, we are talking marriage at this point in time and I have no reason to believe this is a scam. Still, friends and family warn me. They have suggested that even an engagement means she is like a wife already and entittled to half of what you own. They have said they have seen men fall in love, suggest marriage and then only to have half of what they own taken from them. I cannot believe that this is true. Still, I do not know marriage laws and/or 'committment' beliefs of China. Can you advise? please sned info to: ghvalley.net|ldp
Thank you
Larry
Page 3 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Retirement in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code