Menu
Retirement in China
Sep 4, 2009 02:46
GUEST56248 I'm married to a PRC citizen (actually she just her US last week). There's a least a 10 year wait to get a perm visa here and eve then seems impossible. They've given like 10!
Jan 20, 2010 14:19
GUEST17464 I've been considering the question of retiring to China as well over the last few months possibly relocating to Suzhou. Only information that I can find refers to obtaining a D Visa but doesn't say how to apply for one on the Chinese consulate website here.
Jul 10, 2010 23:26
GUEST47129 i married a woman from chengdu and had planned to retire in florida but found it to expensive. now we plan to live in chengdu and i am wondering if 1700 per month will be enough there. any thoughts on this?
Aug 7, 2010 08:07
GUEST29179 1700 U.S. ? No problems... But retiring permanently isn't possible!! You can't live in China permanently.... China mandatory retirement for male is 65,,,, when you reach that age you will be expelled. Impossible for you to get the China citizenship!!
Dec 5, 2010 09:05
  • PYGRANT
I think it's difficult to retire in China unless (1) your spouse is Chinese or (2) you speak and write the language fluently. I am in the former category: right now we're living in S. Korea b/c that's where my job is - in two to three years when I retire the plan is to live in the US for six months of each year and in China for the other six (my family is all in the US and her's is all in China, so that seemed fairest). As far as the visa issue, you can just renew your visa yearly (a lot better than Korea where you have to renew it every 3 months). I already own a house in {Huangshi,http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hubei/huangshi/}, but her parents are living in it, and it's too far north to be retirement weather for me - we'll probably buy a house somewhere in Guangdong.
Mar 18, 2011 13:54
GUEST21809 Can a person live in China on $800.00 a month social security ?
Mar 18, 2011 20:48
GUESTDAVE
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST21809

Can a person live in China on $800.00 a month social security ?

Which city will you be? I think it's OK if you don't live a luxurious life.
May 15, 2011 03:24
GUEST94651 Sorry for reanimating a zombie thread, but my 2c about retiring in China = don't. Chinese cities are grim, cultural wastelands, and very polluted. I've been living in Shanghai for the past 5 years, and no sane person from a developed country would consider retiring here, unless they are stuck with a Chinese wife or have vested business interests here that prevent them from leaving.

People in the cities are quite rude, not very friendly, and can be downright spiteful. Even many Chinese dislike living in large cities here, but are obliged to do so for economic reasons. I'll admit that in the countryside people can be quite nice, but it's not a place you'd want to retire.

Whatever remained of Chinese culture after the CR has been destroyed by xenophobic brainwashing (blame the Japanese, blame the West for all our ills), and rampant greed and materialism. I lived here back in 99, and despite the "development" of Shanghai, in many aspects it has become a poorer, meaner place to live. You'd also need to consider very serious health concerns - awful pollution, tainted food, spotty health care, etc.

Many wealthy Chinese are buying properties outside the mainland in HK, Singapore, Canada, and the States. I strongly suggest looking at Hong Kong communities on the south side of the island like Stanley, Big Wave Bay, and Shek O, if you want to be close to China, but in a much better, international environment. Thailand is always alluring, and, if you twist my arm, I'll tell you a secret about the wonderful island nation of Taiwan, full of traditional Chinese culture, forests, beaches, and warm people. ;)
May 15, 2011 03:37
GUEST94651
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST21809

Can a person live in China on $800.00 a month social security ?

A little over RMB5000/month? Taxi drivers make more than that here. English teachers make double or triple that. In Shanghai you'd be living in a concrete hovel in a grimy suburb, freezing your pigu off in the winter and subsisting on 5 kuai greasy noodles and rice.

I guess your money would go further in a smaller city, but it wouldn't be fun.
Jun 2, 2011 13:39
GUESTRICK Hello. I'm planning to move to Zhanjiang, China in January. I visited there last March and I will return for a visit in September. My fiance' currently resides there. We will marry next Spring. Any advice to give me would be helpful. I am 65 years old come January and I'm already recieving social security checks. I plan to tudor English and teach guitar privately, not at a school.
Thank you for reading from me and god bless.
Page 6 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Retirement in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code