Menu
Traveling to China with children who were born there
Aug 16, 2005 00:59
  • SCOTTCS
My wife and I are planning a visit to China next summer to include Jiangxi. Both our girls, 8 and 10 years old, were born in China and adopted as infants. We have tried to keep them aware and happy about their roots. This will be the first trip back to China for any of us since we went to bring them home. Obviously it will be a completely different experience. Last time we were concentrated on connecting our family. We want this to be an exciting, special, and meaningful experience for them. Any advice about must see things to do (historic, cultural and nature), how the girls can feel what life would have been like to have grown up there, official connections with the social welfare agency, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. We hope they will connect with the unique beauty and offerings of their original home and understand what makes their original communities exactly what they are.

We want them to enjoy this experience so much it will set the stage for travel throughout their lives - and possibly a family move to China for a time at some point. We are not fussy, "ugly American" types - before parenting we have traveled widely trying to experience how others live, so we don't just want to know about the "comfortable" things to do and see. We want to create experiences that will help our girls learn respect and appreciation and wonder. I will be posting this message to the Nanchang community as well, but if you have ideas for while we are in Nanchang specifically and Jiangxi in general please communicate. Thanks! Scott
Aug 16, 2005 10:29
  • CALIFORNIA
hi,scottcs,How friendly you and your wife.I have met two families like yours in PizzaHut in BeiJing,and we talked about a half day about their family!They have the same idea to yours.So they came to BeiJing for travelling.
I have no ideas of the MUSR places in Jiangxi,because I have not been to there!But I think,you can visit Ji Dezhen(famous for chinaware),and Lu Shan in the city JiuJiang,then Wu Yuan(the most beautiful countryside in China).Maybe,when you arrive there,you can choose some places!
I hope you have a nice trip in Jiangxi,if you have free time,you can take your children to the other cities!!!love your family!
Aug 16, 2005 13:51
  • RITA
Something beautiful, something real, something old, something new.
Aug 16, 2005 13:57
  • RITA
Something beautiful:
Zhangjiajie,
a natural forest park, in the western part of Hunan is a natural attraction full of forests, brooks, beautiful hills, stone pillars, flowers and wild boar, and a paradise for animals such as various birds, monkeys and leopards.
Aug 16, 2005 14:15
  • RITA
Something Old:
Typically
YUEYANG TOWER (Yueyang Lou)
Yueyang Tower is one of the most famous structures in China, renowned for its ancient literary associations. It stands on the northeastern shore of Lake Dongting in Hunan Province in the riverside city of Yueyang, where the Yangzi River intersects with the lake via canals. Originally built in 716, the present tower was rebuilt in 1045 on another site, and restored in the early Qing and again as recently as 1983. In the Tang period, at the height of China’s literary glory, the original tower was a meeting place for famous poets such as Li Bai, Du Fu, and Bai Juyu. In the early Song period the tower was associated with the literary man Fan Zhongyan (989-1052)...
Aug 16, 2005 14:22
  • RITA
Something Real:

Go around the city or villages, deep into the lanes and streets. You and your girls will see something really plain, trivial and day-to-day life, you can not see those kind of "plain" things in a tailored itinerary travel agency made for you.
Aug 17, 2005 06:48
  • OCEANS
Hello, My wife (chinese) myself (New Zealander) and two 12 months old boys Born in NewZealand are looking at living in China for 3 years. Maybe WEIHAI of QINGDAO. There are some concerns about buying property because pending Government policies regarding property conveyancing so I am not sure whether we buy or rent until those issues have been sorted out. Anyway I would like to hear from others that ard in the same boat.
Aug 17, 2005 09:42
  • RITA
Something New:

In almost every city in China, there is a least one district called "developing area" or something like that, usually locates around the skirts of the city, clean communities, skyscrapers and shopping malls, all are new and exciting.
Post a Reply to: Traveling to China with children who were born there
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code