Menu
Religion In China
Feb 27, 2006 05:56
  • PINETREE

True China generally does not have a religion. China had many philosophers and teachers of life and how to lead a good life like Confucianism, Taosim,etc,etc. These teachings are deeply-rooted in the Chinese (incl me), without our realising it.
India (for eg) on the other hand produces probably the world's most relgiions - Hinduism, Sikhism,etc & seems quite engrossed/obsessed with religions.
Any views on why is this so ? And what's the basic element in a religion ?
I have my views/comments of cos (just in case that someone asks !!). But will give others a chance to talk first. Hahaha !!
Feb 27, 2006 18:49
  • PINETREE

I suppose the concept of religion has never really caught up in China.
Yes, indeed the ONE element that is present in a religion is the belief of a supernatural being/force. The believers of the Bible (incl Jews, Christians, etc) call theirs God. The Moslems ( including the Hui minority in China & mainly people in Xinjiang ) call theirs "Allah ( which also means God & surprise surprise, Islam and Judaism are striclty speaking, identical) and the Hindus - well, they have many gods.
A religion also deals more on the next life - they are believers of life after death.
So Budhism is not really a religion though it teaches you how to live an earthly life so that one can attain nirvana and become a budha yourself after death.
Anyway, it is a complicated matter. Shall not dwell into more details here, unless others are interested.

PS - the writer is not a religious person himself!
Feb 27, 2006 19:04
  • RITA
1, Atheist;
2, No religion, but very religious,
3, Polytheist

Are all right to describe most Chinese.
Feb 27, 2006 19:08
  • RITA
People are good at making less/ none religious thing/ person religious, like even today, there are people worship Confucius in so-called "Confucius Temple", Confucius/ Confucianism is to learn and understand, not to worship:). Confucius is not a god.
Feb 27, 2006 19:14
  • MAY001
For most of Han Chinese, we don't believe in god. Han Chinese believe that our ancestors will bless us. We respect gods,supernatual beings,fairies,ghosts, etc. but not believe in the certain religion.
Feb 27, 2006 20:12
  • PINETREE
Generally, people need to have a religion simply because they need to make use of it to console and boost their hope.
When no one else and nothing else can help a person in despair, he will either commit suicde or turn to seek divine help.
Funny thing is that all religions preach that if one does good and believeth in HIM, one will go to Heaven and attain everlasting life. There are so many believers of religions but how many really wanna shorten their sufferings on earth to be in Heaven and attain everlasting life/happiness ?!
Chinese appear to be confident people who dont need divine help.
Incidentally I was once brought to a place nearby Xian called Shang Shui - it "believes/records" and hold in rememberance the Creator of Man. But this Creator was not worshipped as "god" per se. Interesting.
Feb 27, 2006 20:43
  • PINETREE
I suppose in a way China is lucky that the people do not have a religion - at least there is less unrest due to religions.
Feb 27, 2006 20:57
  • ANGELICDAW
my personal view is, more often, religion and faith are a paradox.

many people treat buddhism as a religion, therefore defeating the true purpose of buddha's teachings of detachment.
Feb 27, 2006 21:50
  • DRACULA
In my most humble opinion :

People who believe in religion are very gullible.

Why?

Religion are created by people to con people. And they have done it over a few centuries. Who can safely say that such people exist in history.

Who made them this way?

People. It was the people or followers who made them to look so great. Otherwise, they will be like you and me.

As I have said, this is my most humble opinion. You don't have to say or prove that I am wrong.
Feb 27, 2006 22:12
  • MAY001
Quote:
Incidentally I was once brought to a place nearby Xian called Shang Shui - it "believes/records" and hold in rememberance the Creator of Man. But this Creator was not worshipped as "god" per se. Interesting.

Hi, pinetree, where is the place? I just have no idea about it although I am a Xian citizen. Can u tell me?
Feb 27, 2006 22:45
  • PINETREE

Well, my partner and I were on a package tour of the Silk Road about 1.5 yrs ago. We started off from Urumqi and travelled eastwards towards Xian. ShangShui was our last stop before Xian and was about 100+ km away from Xian. A small town with nothing much to see/do - other than this temple that depicts/honours Pan Gu and the 1st Man in China.
It was interesting to me because I've read of China's version of the Creator when I was very young. I grew up being exposed more to the Bible's version of the Creator, God. I also read/heard about other versions of their Creators by other races - India's Indian, Aztecs, American native Indians, Middle-east, etc.
Not all worship their creators as God in the same manner as the Bible/Koran believers, though.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Religion In China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code