Shenzhen One Day Trip

Written by Dec 28, 2009 03:17
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I went to Shenzhen from Hong Kong on 18th December for one day trip. I hadn’t visited the famous places of historical interest in China before. My friend suggests that I can see all China’s well-known sights in Shenzhen within one day, this modern economic and financial metropolis.

At the Fu Yong Ferry Terminal in Shenzhen, I got a single-entry visa valid for one week by paying for HK$ 100 at a small office outside the Immigration Hall. It took only 10 minutes for the visa processing. 

I bought one ticket (120 Chinese Yuan, RMB) to visit Splendid China and China Folk Culture Villages; however, my credit card was not accepted by the ticket office of the parks, then I found that I couldn’t use the card in the taxi, either. I was highly recommended to change money on banks which are open even on Saturday. I showed my passport to the bank staff for changing money, at last, I returned to the Splendid China by taxi. Splendid China is a theme park featuring the popular tourist destinations in China in miniature size. Here I saw the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Great Wall, Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Li River, West Lake, Leshan Giant Buddha, Mt. Huangshan, Three Gorges on the Yangtze River, Huangguoshu Waterfall, etc. The interesting thing is that the Great Wall is used to surround the park with the function of fencing barrier. It is marvelous to see the entire Forbidden City with the overall design on north-south axis. The scale is impressive as the imperial control center of the entire Chinese empire. Oh! I almost forgot that Taiwan’s Ali Mountain is also included.

After admiring the beautiful miniature scenic spots of China, I went to the next door to the China Folk Culture Village where I saw genuine life size stockade villages of various minorities and ethnic people in colorful costumes. There are 56 minorities in China, so many different ethnic customs are worn and displayed by the dancers and performers at the cultural villages. Different performances were shown at villages in the park. After a long time of walking and taking photos, I sat and enjoyed the wonderful shows. Please check out the time schedule of performances when you arrive. It’s a pity for me to miss many shows.

I hear that the Window of the World is also an excellent theme park for world safari without the trouble of applying for visas to different countries. However, the pity was that I didn’t have time and had to return to HK tomorrow to take the flight to Vancouver. 

More Shenzhen Travel Reviews
1. <A> CHINA ON THE WORLD MAP: VISITING THE CHARISMATIC SHENZEN BRIJKAPOOR from IN Feb 13, 2008 00:03
2. <A> The Longest First Night in China IAMBAYA Oct 27, 2006 08:10
3. Transition in Transit JABAROOTOO from CN May 18, 2006 07:05
Comments (10)

Jan 27, 2013 19:48 Reply

Ms.FIONA said:

Gerald,

In China, it is the groom who pays for the wedding ceremony and banquet, also the bride's wedding gowns. If you hold your wedding ceremony and banquet at a hotel. It costs you more money. I do not know where your bride comes from. Here in my city, a table of dishes costs at least CNY 1000. 20 tables cost CNY 20000. In big cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, I guess it costs more.

It is no wrong that she wants to get married in China. Do not remember that all her friends, families and relatives are in China. In my hometown, the bride's family will hold a banquet to treat their families, friends and relatives before the wedding day. The groom usually appears at the banquet. On ther wedding day, the bride's closest families and relatives accompany the bride to arrive at the groom's home. Afterwads, they enjoy the banquet with the groom's families, relatives and friends together. Such a tradition has been observed by many families in my hometown.

I do not know what kind of traditions are observed in your girl's town. Personally, I think you should give more understanding to your girl. In China, marriage is not just a matter of two persons. It is a matter of two clans of the bridge and groom. It is much more complicated than you think.

Jan 25, 2013 01:59 Reply

Mr.GERALD from USA said:

Hi Friend,
I am deaf man. I have girlfriend Chinese for 9 years. Also, I want to know I ask you about why she want we will marry in Chinese wedding. What I should do for somethings? Please tell me about it.

Jan 25, 2013 20:17
Ms.FIONA from China replied:

Do you mean Chinese traditional wedding ceremony? if yes, you can read following articles https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/marriage/ and marriage registration requirements here: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/marriage-registration.htm

Chinese traditional wedding with the bride and groom with red dress, it is a symbol of good luck. I think your girl and her family, even many foreigners prefer it other than western wedding ceremony in China. Anyway, it is interesting, right?

Jan 25, 2013 20:26
Mr.GERALD from USA replied:

I see it. I agree with your word but we live in America. I know saving money for wedding in here. She said , " No, we must fly to China then get marry in there . I feel little confess. It is okay. I ask you about Did the Chinese wedding are cheap or more cost for wedding? I want more know what is Chinese culture.
I hope you will tell me about more question.

Jan 26, 2013 20:32
Mr.GERALD from USA replied:

I ask you about what you think when my girlfriend and I will fly to China. Then Few day, she will tell me about red dress wedding. I mean I have pay red dress?

Oct 22, 2012 18:14 Reply

Ms.VIVIAN FU from Australia said:

Hi,
I will be in hk and shenshen in Jan 2013.
could you please kindly tell me where I can buy (old day Ming ?? dynasty's) princess, queen/qui-fi dress/costums for my school dress up day.
thank you

Oct 18, 2011 04:28 Reply

Ms.WONG from Malaysia said:

Thank you Mr Dave for your comprehensive answers, Next questions are:
1. Where do we catch the bullet train to Guangzhou?
2. Do we have to buy the tickets in advance?

Oct 18, 2011 20:56
Mr.DAVE replied:

1. Luohu Railway Station.
2. You needn't book the train ticket in advance. There are many bullet trains from Shenzhen to Guangzhou everyday.

Oct 15, 2011 04:43 Reply

Ms.WONG from Malaysia said:

Four of us (senior citizens in their 70s and late 60s) would be visiting Shenzhen in Nov 2nights. We would like to visit the Cultural Village and do some shopping.
1. How do we get to the Culyural Village by subway. Is the subway free and Are we exempted from the entrance fee?
2. Is it safe to take a taxi from the airport (nighttime arrival) to the Dongmen area(hotel)? How much is the fare? Is there a coupon system at the airport?
3. Is it easy to get a taxi to Guangzhou and how much is the fare?
4 On our return we will have to take a taxi to the airport. Can we allow the hotel to do it for us?
5. Which restaurants would you recommend for good Cantonese food?

Thanking you in advance for your help and tips.

Oct 15, 2011 21:51
Mr.DAVE replied:

1. The subway line 1 can take you there and you should get off at Overseas China Town (Huaqiaocheng Station). No, the subway is not free. The longer you travel, the more you need to pay. Also, the cultural village is half-priced for those between 65-69 and free for those above 70 years old. But I'm not sure if this favorable policy is only available for Chinese seniors or for all seniors from all over the world.
2. There should be no problem to take a taxi at night time if it is a legal one. It takes about RMB180 at night from Shenzhen airport to Dongmen area. I don't think there is a coupon system at the airport for taxis.
3. It will be quite expensive to take a taxi from Shenzhen to Guangzhou. I recommend you travel by bullet train. There are many of them per day from Shenzhen to Guangzhou east railway station or Guangzhou railway station.
4. It depends on your hotel staff. But many hotels can arrange a taxi for their customers.
5. For Cantonese food in Shenzhen, you can refer to https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangdong/shenzhen/dining.htm

Page 1 of 2PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.