Strategies for tourists of Badaling and the Ming Tombs

Written by May 16, 2010 22:40
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

As one of the eight wonders of the world and the best preserved mausoleum complex in the world, Badaling Great Wall and the Ming Tombs enjoy international fame. It was lucky for to visit it. Here I would like to share with you a few of strategies for Badaling and the Ming Tombs touring. Hopefully, this will help with your trip.

First and foremost, I would like to tell the location of these two places. Badaling Great Wall and the Ming Tombs are all along Badaling Highway. Were Badaling a tree with one branch, Badaling Great Wall would be at the top of the tree and the Ming Tombs would be at the branch.

Badaling Great Wall

Next, I would like to write about the route for Badaling and the Ming Tomb tour in three parts:

First, transfer between downtown Beijing to Badaling Great Wall.
For those who read travel reviews, this must be a familiar issue. Just take bus no.919 fast line which runs directly to Badaling Great Wall at the 919 bus station at the very back of Deshengmen Tower. If you are on subway, alight at line 2 Jishuitan subway station, get out from Exit A, and walk westward to the back of Deshengmen Tower for the bus; or get out from B, cross the road, and then walk to the bus station. Note that there are many 919 bus stations around Deshengmen Tower. Even at the very back, there are two routes, one for Yanqing, and the other for Badaling Great Wall. Just be careful.

Second, transfer between downtown Beijing to the Ming Tombs.
I bet fewer tourists are aware of this. To the west of Deshengmen (about 300m east of Jishuitan subway station Exit A) are stations of bus no.919 branch line 3 and bus no.345 fast for the Ming Tombs. Nevertheless, these buses do not go directly to the Ming Tombs. You have to make transfer. Get off at Changping Dongguan or University of Politics and Law and then take bus 314 opposite to the drop-off point. Bus no.314 is the special lien between Changping and the Ming Tombs stopping at Dingling and Changling, the terminus. Actually, it is advisable to take bus no.919 branch line 3, as most of them run on the expressway while bus no.345 fast operate on the state road, not fast enough.
Parking Area of Badaling Great Wall

Third, transfer between Badaling Great Wall and the Ming Tombs.
This part is dedicated to those who tour Badaling together with the Ming Tombs. One thing to clarify beforehand is that Badaling Great Wall has two parking lots, the mountain front parking lot and the mountain back parking lot. Bus no.919 to Badaling Great Wall stops at the mountain front parking lot. If you are not going to the Ming Tombs, just take bus no.919 fast at the mountain front parking lot back to downtown area. But if you are going, walk to the mountain back parking lot for bus no.919 fast which runs back to the downtown area and then get off at Xiguan Huandao. Afterwards, walk along the square at Xiguan until you reach the station for bus no.314, direct to the Ming Tombs. Or you can just take a taxi after you get off at Xiguan Huandao. It takes just the starting fare to reach there, or within twice of the starting fare to reach Dingling and Changling. Do not pay higher than that.
Ming Tombs

Last bus not least, on bus no.919 back from Badaling Great Wall or the Ming Tombs to downtown Beijing, tourists can get off at "Madianqiao Nan" station and then hail a taxi for Bird's Nest and Water Cube, which are just a few miles away.

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. My 3rd Visit to the Great Wall in Beijing YANG PEIQI May 10, 2010 23:08
2. Juyongguan Great Wall Review CARMEN_01 from France May 9, 2010 22:03
3. Jiankou Great Wall Trip SUMMERSNOW from Fiji May 1, 2010 22:51
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.