Expo for Handicapped

Written by Mr. STEVE P. J. Jul 23, 2010 01:24
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Recently I have visited the Expo with my tour group. There are totally 69 members in our group and all of us are disabled. There is something wrong with my legs. At first, I worried about that it was too difficult for disabled people like me to visit the Expo and I had no idea to go there. They found me and persuaded me to participate in their group.

My father companied me to wait for the bus at the gate of Jing'an Park at 08:00 in the morning. I was very exciting. When the barrier-free bus came, I was directly pushed into the bus with my wheelchair because there are wheelchair lift platform in the bus. It was very convenient.

At about half past nine, we came to the barrier-free access of the Expo Site Gate Seven under the company of the volunteers. We were allowed to bring our own wheelchair into the expo site and it also provides manual wheelchair for free. It took about one minute for us to pass the staff’s security-check without leaving our wheelchair and all of us enter the expo site without trouble. I was too impatient to wait for taking pictures. The kind volunteer helped me take a lot of photos.

Though it was very crowded, we disabled were took good care everywhere. The barrier-free access can be found in every security-check entrance of the expo, in order to make it convenient for people in wheelchair passing through. Barrier-free facilities and alleyways are set on the main roads of the expo park. The theme pavilion and the other major pavilions are set up with barrier-free reservations, barrier-free entrances, barrier-free channels, barrier-free elevators, barrier-free toilet seats, low information desks, low telephones, low drinking fountains, accessible guide signs, barrier-free parking, accessibility of information equipment, barrier-free rest facilities, etc. All of this cleared the way for the disabled to visit.

French Pavilion was our first visit. On our way to French Pavilion, we were all attracted by the pavilion buildings in all styles. The volunteer introduced them to us: the venue to be covered with straw mats is the Spanish Pavilion; the wall shaped like a Chinese paper cutting is the Portland Pavilion; the pavilion with cable car is Switzerland Pavilion. While walking to French Pavilion, we were appreciating the other pavilions' beautiful structure. The volunteers slowed down and took a lot pictures for us.

Half an hour later, we arrived at the French Pavilion. We had no need to queue up to enter the pavilion. The staff led us go through the VIP channel and enter the forth floor through the barrier-free elevators. There were so many wonderful things displayed in this pavilion that let us feast for our eyes. Despite the different hobbies, we were all full of praise for the accessible venues.

We visited Chinese Pavilion through the barrier-free channel at 14:00. All of us were surprised by the painting of Qingming Shanghe. What a visual feast! It was worth mentioning that the sunshine Pavilion was open to disabled. It is the first disabled pavilion in the history of the expo. The volunteers and commentators are all disabled. The theme of this pavilion is 'eliminate discrimination, get rid of poverty, love life and share sunshine' and the idea of this pavilion is 'Making a better life for disabled in the city'.

The hearing disability guide and the guide sitting on wheelchair are dressed in thousand-hand Kwan-yin clothing. They cooperated harmoniously to explain the exhibits for us in sign language and English language. Viewers can also understand the development cause of the disabled through the voiced e-book set in the prelude hall. I was lucky to have chance to listen to the music played by the pianist Sunyan in this hall.

The sunshine section is set up with all kinds of helpful equipment for disabled people, such as acousticon, manmade cochlea and special installation asthenopia people and physically disabled people. I experienced the machine legs which was so amazing at that section. I had a deep understanding about life after leaving the Life Sunshine Pavilion and I will try my best to make my life happy with a strong will.

After visiting several popular pavilions, we all tired but still exciting. The volunteers help us to buy food in the expo. We have enjoyed delicious food with different countries taste. It was absolutely worth to have a try of the other counties snacks. Later, the barrier-free bus came to pick up us and sent us home.

It was a wonderful day and it was an unforgettable experience. The expo official considered so much for disabled people. I felt that I was cared so much and I look forward to visiting the expo again.

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. recent visit to EXPO GAURI KULKARNI from India Jun 22, 2010 03:40
2. Taking Kids to Shanghai Expo LIZ CHEN from Canada Jun 21, 2010 21:12
3. Visit the Shanghai Expo JACK YANG from CN Jun 8, 2010 20:23
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.