A visit to Liuzhou

Written by Jun 10, 2005 08:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Though my initial destination was picturesque Guilin, I spent the majority of my two weeks in Liuzhou. Guilin was wonderful. The trip down the Li River lived up to its advanced billing. The scenery was magical, the food was great, and the lively conversation with fellow travelers made the 4 hours go by quickly. Yangshou was very interesting, though we didn't get to stay long enough and had to rush through. We stopped at Shangri-La on the way back to Guilin and had an interesting visit with several different minority groups. Traveling by bus is a great way to go. The city boat trip at night is well worth it, and I highly recommend the Reed Flute Cave. Make sure you go to the gift shop afterwards. Liuzhou was very interesting for me. I would consider it a lower middle class city. There is definitely evidence of the emmergence of a new, more affluent society, but it is still mostly a working class, practical, and frugal town. The highlight was definitely Lon Tan Park. For natural beauty, serenity, and convenience, it doesn't take a backseat to anyplace. In general, the people are very friendly, food, transportaion, and lodging are unbelievably affordable, and the hotels are very nice. I was shocked at all of the places to shop. The local shops are very interesting, but make sure you visit the modern mall complex. They also have the biggest bookstore I've ever seen- 7 floors! Hotels are a great place to eat, and make sure you bring a large appetite. I'm considered to be a picky eater-well, I rarely knew what I was eating, and I loved everything I ate! As I said, the people are very friendly, seem very happy, and appear to be enjoying their new, very modern lives. I was a bit surprised by all the cell phones, 53 channels on TV, and how fashionable everyone seemed to be. I can''t wait to explore more of China.

More Guilin Travel Reviews
1. Hello Guilin ZUZU May 26, 2005 21:05
2. Li River in Guilin MURPHY from CA Apr 1, 2004 16:04
3. Guilin and the River Li STEVE from US Apr 1, 2004 15:04
Comments (4)

Sep 14, 2006 01:22 Reply

LIUZHOU said:

Lots of pictures here www.liuzhou.co.uk/ll/1958.htm

I live in Liuzhou and don't think that the hotels are the best places to eat!

And it's Long Tan Park (Dragon Pool Park)

Mar 31, 2006 03:28 Reply

LIUZHOU said:

Lots of information and pictures of Liuzhou at:

http://www.liuzhou.co.uk

Jun 16, 2005 14:16 Reply

MERMAID said:

Your writing is so lovely!
It is not easy to find a content traveller! people tend to complain rather than to enjoy!

Jun 10, 2005 10:27 Reply

DEE0228 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience in Liuzhou. I thought there is few people know the place, could you please send us some photos of this small city?

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.