Halloween Chinese style <A>

Written by Nov 10, 2005 05:11
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Halloween Chinese style,

The month of October has come and gone. To me it has always ment the coming and going of seasons. This is the month that warm turns to cold, green turns to gold, and all people celebrate, young or old. Halloween is a great holiday that I always look forward to. I've always made a point to celebrate this holiday and to teach children in whatever country I am in how much fun it can be. Who doesn't like getting candy, carving pumpkins, and dressing up? Celebrating this holiday in China was a little bit different. I learned the absolute power, the incredible mass, and the invincible strength that the Chinese possess. I have seen people packed in train staions, I've seen streets full of families, but one thing I have never seen is the children of China in action.

I went into my class and tried not to rouse the kids too much. I was covered in makeup and dressed like a true vampire; as soon as I entered the room the screams and laughter erupted. I watched as the children transformed into candy hungry monsters. The children's eyes all widened, their sugar craving stomachs began to growl. It seemed as if they all became possessed by an overactive, overexcited, super child. There was no turning back now, I closed the door and started the lesson.

We were to calmly explain to the children what would happen during the break. On the hour the children were to coolly walk from door to door, knock politely, get their candy, and move on to the next classroom. They were to stay on their floor. No pushing, no shoving, no stomping or stealing. They were to return to their class ten minutes after being let out. To the point rules that are easy to understand. No matter how hard I tried to get their attention I could not break their stare from the clock. As each minute passed they became more and more restless. Whatever I was said to them was no important now, candy was coming, that’s all they cared about.

I nervously watched as the clock ticked one minute closer to break, there were only a few minutes remaining. I ran over the rules one more time and tried to keep them calm. They started to jump out of their seats. Determined to get as much candy as possible their drive was incredible. I tried to block the door. They all began shouting and pushing, they were all against me.
DING DONG BONG DONG!
The bell rung, the chaos began.

I have never seen so many children squeeze out of a door that fast before. Twenty ten-year olds out of a door in two seconds. I closed the door as fast as I could; I knew the others would be coming. There was not a sound left in the classroom.
Peace, quite, and . . . .
Within ten seconds the knocking began. I opened the door to five girls with their hands in the air. TRICK OR TREAT! I gave them each a candy and closed the door of the classroom. As soon as I heard the silence of the classroom again, a pounding on the door shattered it. This time when I opened the door there were ten children. TRICK OR TREAT! They shouted simultaneously. Awww, now isn't this what Halloween is all about. I started handing out candy but more and more children started coming. I wanted to close the door so other children could have their turn knocking but there was no room. At least twenty children surrounded my door, then thirty, then forty. They fully surrounded me and began chanting. TRICK OR TREAT, TRICK OR TREAT, TRICK OR TREAT! I wasn’t moving fast enough, they wanted more. The barbarism began. Bigger children started smashing younger children. Younger children started biting older children. There was eye poking, foot stomping, even pant pulling! Kids would get their candy, stick in their pocket, and raise an open hand up for more. No one was moving, just more and more came. As far as I could see there were children with an occasional frightened teacher. My box of candy finished. Seeing that I had no more to offer the vultures ran off to the next teacher. The second bell rang; children slowly started dispersing back to their classroom.
Finally they were gone. I and two other teachers looked at each other for compassion. All there was was fear. This event would happen again. We all had eight more classes. We slowly limped back to our classes and tried to remember why were doing this. In the end it was all for the children, I hope they had fun.

More Kunming Travel Reviews
1. Thailand KYLE from CA Aug 16, 2005 13:08
2. Kunming Life ROBYN from AU May 25, 2005 21:05
3. Travel in Yunnan, Kunming, LiJiang, Dali in Year 2001 BETH Apr 7, 2004 16:04
Comments (1)

Nov 10, 2005 08:05 Reply

ELCABRON said:

Funny story - the typical Chinese style. If you havent been in China around Christmas, be prepared;-) Stampedes on public places, everybody uses fakesnow sprays - and as a laowai you are victim No.1! Kids had those balloon cudgels and beat each other like hell.....all in all it was a funny Chinese interpretation of the Silent Night;-)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.