<A> A city of lights, a city so bright.

Written by Dec 5, 2005 02:12
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

The Journey

I found myself on yet another train. I was heading to a new land. Although I was staying in the same country I was going to cross a boarder. Across this fake line lay a new system, a new language, and a whole new society. I heard stories of this great city. Everyone had a different opinion, a land of contrast. Armed with my guidebook for information, my head for difficult situations and my heart for direction, I got my passport stamped and crossed the river.
After the border and expected to hit an instant city. Instead I found fagged farmers feeding their animals. Large green fields and lush mountains cut off the view of the sea. The relaxed vibe was not what I was expecting from this foreign land. The land made a perfect path for the train but with a sudden plunge everything was dark and we were underground.

Technology
At our first stop, one side of the train opened for passengers, hundreds of people civilly cued outside the train cautiously stepped in. The electronic screens above the doors flashed as an intercom announced the station. The voice was speaking two languages, and one of them was my own! On the opposite side of the train, the black tunnel wall had hundreds of flat screen plasma televisions. They lined the tunnel like wall paper. Even as the train increased its speed they projected a steady, clear, conspicuous image. Every stop more and more people entered. I reluctantly gave my seat to a pudgy senior citizen and because of the lack of space I was forced to heave my heavy backpack upon my shoulders. At long last I arrived at my stop. I imagined it would be easy, this country being so organized and all. I was in the middle of a massive maze. Exits A-F turn left, exits G-W turn right, XYZ go straight. You can never go wrong following the X so my journey continued past computer centers, moving walkways, and thousands of people. After asking for help numerous times I finally found my exit and headed up the escalator.

The city
I could feel my heart beat faster as I rose toward the city. This is the adrenaline rush that traveling gives you. This is what I love; this is what I live for. The unknown land that lay ahead would soon be discovered. The adventure before me would be significant, immense, and awe-inspiring
The first rays of sun hit me; a beautiful blue sky illuminated everything. I took it in all at once; the spirit of the city rushed into my body and took me off my feet.
“Hong Kong!”
I had to shout it.
Huge beautifully structured buildings towered above me. The streets were packed with neon signs that promised a bright night. A tramcar honked its horn as it passed through a busy intersection. Shop after shop lined the streets exhibiting everything you could imagine. I didn’t bother to look at my guidebook for special sites to see, walking around would be more then enough entertainment. The harbor lay in the distance, a good direction to go. Every street had a different theme; I traveled past art stores, electrical stores, camera stores, clothing stores, food stores, furniture stores, bookstores; stores that I couldn’t even figure out. My trail ended at the Hong Kong harbor. A sparkling turquoise sea made a superior base. Large green mountains surrounding the island made a noble backdrop. Hundreds of colossal skyscrapers posting enormous advertisements for electronic equipment made an extraordinary core. I gazed for what seemed like hours, lost in my thoughts. The capabilities of humans are astonishing. An island below Mainland China can be transformed into a massive communication center dealing with millions of people all over the world.
I boarded a ferry and took a ride to the other side of Hong Kong. My guesthouse lay somewhere among all those towers.

Chung King Mansions
Stepping into these buildings can be a little bit overwhelming. The inside is lined with moneychangers possessing money from all over the world. Big black men exchange handshakes as every color of the human race transact in business. If you have your backpack you are prey, Out of small cracks in the enormous building Indians come running towards you with offers of food and cheap rooms.
Chung King Mansions is Asia in a nutshell. It’s where people from all walks of life meet and deal. DVD’s or drugs, prostitutes or pomegranates, you name it and someone knows where to find it. All I was looking for was my guesthouse, and it was on the top floor.
The elevators are set up differently in China. One elevator will go to odd floors and the other will go to even floors. I got on the wrong elevator, packed with people of every shape and size. Each floor we stopped at was like getting a quick glimpse of another country. India, Nigeria, Nepal, Iran, Ethiopia, top floor. I stepped out of the elevator to see a black toddler chasing another child with a toilet seat. A pregnant woman gave me an odd look and went on with her washing. I figured this wasn’t the right floor. I went all the way to the bottom and up the other elevator. Pakistan, Tajikistan, Oman, Uganda, Cameroon, Top floor. This time I choose the right elevator. This is where all the western backpackers meet. I met European, Scandinavian, North and South Americans. It seemed that the word of Chung King (cheap) mansions had spread to every corner of the earth. I checked into my dorm and went for a rest; Hong Kong nightlife has a good reputation.

Lights, Camera, Action!
I awoke and was glad to see the sun had already gone down. I had a shower and made supper. (Since Hong Kong is expensive I brought enough food and alcohol from China for three days) I made some friends and went out for a night on the town.
As soon as I hit the bottom floor the luminosity started. Neon lights flash every color the human eye can distinguish. All around me everything seemed to be glowing. Japanese and Korean tourists stood in huge groups flashing pictures of colorfully dressed black women. Iraqi refugees stood by waiting for………I never really understood why they were there or what they were doing but they were there too. I got passed the hordes of people and caught my first glimpse of Hong Kong at night. Everywhere I looked there were lights, people, and traffic. Bars boasted their loud sound systems as buildings demonstrated their beauty with sundry light patterns. People paced the streets wearing their best clothes. I met some people and headed for the harbor. As we sat together staring into the distance I couldn’t help being blown away by the whole creation of Hong Kong. We met a local who recommended a place to go. With nothing to loose we put on our dancing shoes and headed for the disco. It was quite a place, a massive space themed disco. We paid a ridiculous entry fee and headed to the elevator. We plummeted down three floors and the doors opened up to a new world. A glowing tunnel flashed light and dark in front of us. Thunderous beats made my whole body shake. We continued following the tunnel until it opened up to a huge dance floor. A small rave lie thirty feet below the surface but with beers starting at 15$ and Water at 7$ we couldn’t stay long. The night ended a top a tall building staring at the view.
What a place with an odd pace
A city with such captivating sights and tremendous might
A land of compelling differences a must see
Let the city take you, only it has the key.

I spent a couple more days in Hong Kong. Although the city is not that big itself it has so much to offer. Although the islands are not huge there are such differences between them. When humans put their mind to something the possibilities are endless. Weather workings as a group or individually never underestimate potential. Each of us have somthing so great inside of us, lifes just about learning how to find and use it. Fight for what you think is right, and nothing can go wrong.

Kyle Acierno

More Hong Kong Travel Reviews
1. <A> Dashing through Hong Kong DONOVANKIERAN Jun 15, 2005 11:06
2. <A>Hong Kong Revisited REV311 from SG Mar 29, 2005 10:03
3. June Visit CATHERIN Mar 31, 2004 14:03
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.