American living in Hainan Dongfang

Written by Mr. SPENGLER Feb 8, 2015 23:14
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

First of all, Hainan DongFang is an oxymoron, Dongfang means eastern but is on the west coast of Hianan Island.

My Chinese wife and I first visited Hainan Sanya in the spring of 2012. It was a beautiful city to visit but being retired and from a small town from American to populated and busy for me to reside.

I told my wife we should revisit Hainan and find a less populated area. My wife had a childhood school friend, who has been living in Dongfang for many years, so we decided to visit. 2013 February, we were in Dongfang for less than a week, and started to look for an apartment to purchase. It took about a week and we moved into a 77 square meter 2 bedroom apartment. Minutes from the sea!

WHY HAINAN DONGFANG ? more laid-back than any other city in China I've visited. can get about anywhere you need to by bicycle. It's a the west coast of Hainan Island. When hurricanes strike  they come from the east and the Island mountains take most of winds out of the storm.

The summers are hot but bearable. We only use the air-conditioner from mid-May to mid-June. The hottest it was past summer was 35, while mainland China was as high as 40!

The coldest I've seen it, in the winter, mid-Dec. to mid-Feb., is 13 at night but as soon as the sun rises, the temp rises about 2 degrees an hour till early afternoon. Seafood fishing is one of the cities largest sources of income, if not the largest. You can go to the Harbor Fisherman's Pier very afternoon and purchase fresh seafood. Sandy beach north of the harbor longer than the eye can see. Homes in Dongfang are about 1/3 the cost of China's on the average.

WHY NOT HAINAN DONGFANG  For me, why not!

Side-note: I spend about 12% of my retirement income to live in Dongfang and live good. In America, I would be living well below the poverty level!

More Hainan Travel Reviews
1. Trip to Hainan Island January 26-31 2010 RBARRY from CN Feb 4, 2010 21:05
2. Sea Change_ Xincun 新村 JABAROOTOO from CN Dec 12, 2009 03:07
3. My Experience in Boao,Hainan VIGORHE from CN Sep 23, 2009 02:55
Comments (8)

Jul 8, 2018 14:24 Reply

DAVIDLONDON said:

Hi Mr Spengler
I hope you are well. I’m British and my wife Chinese and we are thinking about moving to Dongfang. We have previously visited Sanya and many places on the west coast but now we are thinking of Dongfang. We am sorry to trouble you, but would it be possible to contact you to chat about Dongfang please? Thanks. David.

Jul 17, 2017 23:57 Reply

Mr.DAVID BARBOZA from USA said:

hi mr. spengler, this is a reporter at the new york times. how can i email you directly, privately?

Apr 12, 2018 20:30
Mr.SPENGLER from China replied:

I would love to communicate with you, but I do not want to post my email address online.

Apr 3, 2016 10:08 Reply

JIANNJUICE said:

hey.
I would love some recommendation in Donfang if you are still around. I am from the US, but living in haikuo for now. Would love to visit DongFang before i take off.
Thanks,
Jian

Apr 3, 2016 09:35 Reply

Mr.PAN from USA said:

Hey Mr.Spengler,
I am an american currently living in Haikuo. I would love to visit dong fang some time before i head back to the states. Any recommendations? Would love to hear back from you if you are still around. My email is panjianfeng510@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Mar 27, 2015 22:30 Reply

Ms.苏拉 from chongqing said:

hi ,what's your skype number?

Page 1 of 2PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.