St Francis Xavier

Written by Apr 25, 2006 10:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

So Near and Yet So Far

When people in the west hear about China, more likely than not it will be in reference to the travels of Francis Xavier. This almost certainly is true of those in the Christian tradition. Stories abound about Xavier's dream to set foot on the mainland of China. And mind you, he nearly made it. He got to the little island in the South China Sea, very close to the Guangdong mainland. But there he fell ill and finally died. He was within sight of his dream, and yet ...

That little island is still there and it is possible to visit it also. The Government has preserved it and made it tourist-friendly [except for the fee!]. There must be no formal prayers, however. Just see and go. But even within these limitations, it is a moving experience. I consider myself blessed to share Xavier's dream to set foot on the mainland of China - though for different reasons. I have already set foot there, and will do so again, hopefully, in May.

On my first visit, staring across the Pearl River at the mainland from Macau, I thought I sensed a little of the aching of Xavier all those years ago.

Strangely, at that moment, the words of the poet surfaced in my mind:
'We look before and after / And pine for what is not / Our sincerest laughter with some pain is fraught ...'

More Guangdong Travel Reviews
1. Hui Lai KEVINWARDCFC from IE Apr 24, 2006 03:04
2. A blog about Shantou - it's worth a visit! MIGGYAD Nov 10, 2005 05:11
3. <A>Go Ahead...Look Back PRAISEHIMANYHOW from CN Jul 28, 2005 10:07
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.