Menu
First timer
Oct 6, 2004 04:38
  • STUBBS
I am going to Beijing for the first time and would like to know if its easy to get around. I mean in both speaking mostly english and travelling. I plan to do the tourist things for a bit but would like to do not so tourist things. Any hints on anything?
Oct 6, 2004 10:20
I found this site might be useful.
http://guides.omnidreams.co.uk/exploreLocation/l-22800-Explore+Beijing.htm
You might meet some language problems, especailly when you buming in the Hutong.So You have been suggested to take a handful guide book of Beijing(how abt CHINA,lonelyplanet). In case, you can ask for help from whom looks like a student.
Enjoy your time here in China.
Oct 7, 2004 06:50
  • RMAYEKAR
Personally, I think it's generally easy but there are some guidelines. I don't know how much Chinese you already know so I hope I don't offend you or anything. I would just make sure to learn how to say a few things like hello, goodbye, thank you, how much, cheaper please (comes in very handy!) and so on. Just keep practicing and it'll stick in your head. Also learn numbers. That will be very beneficial to you. The Chinese have hand gestures that correspond with the numbers 1-10 and I think that you should definitely get really familiar with these. It will make your life much easier when shopping or doing anything that requires money. Get Lonely Planet's "Mandarin Phrasebook". Everything you need to know is in there. Also, make sure to have a good guidebook to help you along the way.
Carry around the card of the place you are staying at and MAKE SURE IT HAS THE CHINESE CHARACTERS ON IT as well as pinyin. That's important. Also, if you are staying at a hotel, make them write down on cards or something the places you will be visiting. That way, you just have to show the taxi driver and they will know. Taxi drivers in Beijing are really great.
If you are not going as an organzed tour in China, I would make sure you have an elementary grasp of a few words or phrases before you go because when you get out of the city, no one speaks english. I did the "not so tourist thing" and I was really on edge a lot of the time.

Also, learn how to say common foods that you would like to eat and also learn the characters for beef, chicken, pork, fish and so on. It will help you so much when you are hungry and want to stop at the first place you see. I hope this helps.
Oct 8, 2004 09:28
  • BILLIE
found this tip about the Chinese hand gestures about the number by INTIANJIN, I think it should be a little helpful to all foreigners who want to know more about how to communicate with Chinese local:D

Hand numbers
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/mtip.asp?u=InTianjin&i=0,3
Post a Reply to: First timer
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code