Menu
Should we condemn them?
May 23, 2008 20:33
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
I don't want to be divisive as well... but if we really want to condemn people for this disaster, shouldn't we blame those who knew (if anybody did) that there were major earthquake faults in Sichuan and did not push for stricter building regulations?
May 24, 2008 03:35
  • JSUMMERS83
Great thought, Dodger! I completely forgot about that. What about those who may not be giving much in terms of amount but rather in context of what they have?
May 27, 2008 22:54
  • CHERRY07
Since the disparity between the rich and the poor is too wide, many people have strong hatred to the rich. In Chinese, it is referred to "仇富心理 (Chou 2 Fu 4 Xin 1 Li 3)". Facing the earthquake, they think that the rich men should donate more because they have made a lot of money. That's what they should do. If the rich donate less than they expected, they will of course condemn them.

"Didn’t Jesus say that the poor man who gives half a shekel has given more than the rich man that gives 1000 times that/"

Agree Dodger! It is reported that Xu Chao, a beggar in Nanjing has donated 105 yuan to the victims in Sichuan. Really touching! What does 105 yuan mean to the rich? Too little. For him, he needs a couple of days to accumulate 105 yuan by begging. Not an easy job. He has done what he can do. A great beggar!
May 28, 2008 20:26
  • JIMMYB
Zoey, although Wang Shi has apologized to the public and has promised that Vanke will spend 100 million yuan to help the victims in Sichuan rebuild their houses in 3 to 5 years, the public doesn't seem to forgive him. Many netizens suspect that Vanke just wants to do investment in Zun Dao Township in Mian Yang because Zun Dao has tourism resources.
May 28, 2008 20:34
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Maybe it is just me but I get the feeling that the disaster is being seen as a great opportunity to get back at the rich. By definition, donation is voluntary. Don’t hate the rich. There are reasons why they exist. Sure, they are not perfect but remember, they are your employers.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should we condemn them?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code