Menu
Train from Beijing to Lhasa
Jul 23, 2010 00:16
  • MICHAELHO59
Hi I am Michael from Singapore. I am planning to take a train from Beijing to Lhasa. From Lhasa to Chengdu. From Chengdu, I will fly back to Singapore.
I need help from anyone who is familiar with these routes.
Please advise me on the following:
1) Train from Beijing to Lhasa. I am planning to make a few cities stopover along the way. Preferably travel by day and stopover at night. Can you recommend which are the cities I should stopover and stay overnight?

2) Once I am in Lhasa, is there a train from Lhasa to Chengdu?

3) How and where do I go about purchasing all these train tickets?

4) Is there a travel agent in China that can assist me on this tour?

5) How many days should I plan for this whole trip?

Any information in helping us will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards.
Jul 23, 2010 01:56
1) Train from Beijing to Lhasa. I am planning to make a few cities stopover along the way. Preferably travel by day and stopover at night. Can you recommend which are the cities I should stopover and stay overnight?
T27. Leave Beijing at 2130 and arrive Lhasa 2000 the 3rd day. You may stop at Xian (arrive at 0836 the 2nd day), Lanzhou (arrive at 1521the 2nd day) and Xining (arrive at 1829 the 2nd day). I don’t think other cities are good or safe to stopover. Maybe you can buy the sleeper ticket if you want the trip to be comfortable.

2) Once I am in Lhasa, is there a train from Lhasa to Chengdu?
Train T21/T24 is from Lhasa to Chengdu.

3) How and where do I go about purchasing all these train tickets?
You may book tickets [tcgurl=http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/ ]here[/tcgurl] or buy them directly at the railway stations or ticket windows in the specific cities. Tickets are generally sold 10 days ahead of the leaving day. You’d better buy them earlier in case that they are sold out.

4) Is there a travel agent in China that can assist me on this tour?
This is [tcgurl=http://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/tibet/]Tibet Tours[/tcgurl]. Seems they also offer tailor-made itinerary. Contact them to see if they can arrange this tour for you.

5) How many days should I plan for this whole trip?
I think it depends on how you will enjoy this trip.
Jul 23, 2010 09:21
  • MICHAELHO59
Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. I am planning to bring 3 of my friends along. I think it will be a wonderful journey, trekking China from Beijing to Lhasa. Probably will get a China travel agent to help us otherwise we will be lost.
We may end up in Nepal instead of Tibet!!
Jul 24, 2010 06:31
  • APAULT
I think you will find that foreigners cannot travel on trains into Tibet but must go in groups by air to Lhasa where they can pick up a permit to travel further using a certified guide. As you are fom Singapore these rules might not apply, though I think they do
Post a Reply to: Train from Beijing to Lhasa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code