Menu
Hong Kong to Guangzhou - Will I need a visa?
May 23, 2017 12:30
guestBlair Hi folks. A little confused about the visa requirements for my trip.

I'll be flying from New Zealand to Hong Kong (with a short layover in Taipei in between), staying in Hong Kong for 6 days, then Hong Kong to Canada (with a short layover in Xiamen). While I'm in Hong Kong I'd like to take a trip to Guangzhou for a couple of days (possibly by train).

As I understand it, as a NZ citizen I do not need a visa for my stay in Hong Kong. But will I need a visa if I want to visit Guangzhou? NZ qualifies for 72 and 144 hour free transit in Guangzhou, but will that work if I enter from Hong Kong by train? Would it work if I entered by plane from Hong Kong? And if I do need a Chinese visa, does it need to be multiple entry?

A further possible complication: I will be travelling with my partner, who is Canadian. Though I believe Canadians have the same requirements as NZers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
May 25, 2017 19:52
GUEST40882 Dear, as far as I known, the 144-hour visa-free transit policy has not actually been implemented in Guangdong, so I'm afraid your only choice is the 72-hour free transit in Guangzhou. In this way, you would be required to take a plane to Guangzhou from HK and then leave Guangzhou for a third country. As for your partner, she faces the same situation with you.
May 28, 2017 06:50
GUEST70157 You can apply for a visa for 5 days in luohu when you take a metro / train to Luohu Shenzhen
May 29, 2017 18:37
GUESTBLAIR Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard about the 5 day Shenzhen visa before. Very interesting. Unfortunately, it seems that would not technically be valid for Guangzhou. Good to know it exists though!

Looking like we'll need to get Chinese Tourist visas if we want to go to Guangzhou. Or change some of our flights...
Jun 7, 2017 01:42
GUESTNOMADS we are group of 3 adults, with Philippine passport visiting Hongkong for tourism purposes, we plan to visit Guanzhou /Guandong for 2 days, before going to Bangkok Thailand, can we apply for the entry visa at the port (we plan to travel by train from Hongkong) or do we need to apply in advance. is it advisable to join a tour company for this 2 days ? can you recommend a cheaper option?
Post a Reply to: Hong Kong to Guangzhou - Will I need a visa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code