Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Jul 10, 2008 01:43
GUEST01124 I consider the Lonely Planet Guide Book and their Thorntree Forum a REAL travel trap !!

No doubt I do get some useful informations from them but I they do have traps and quite unscrupulous too:

a) Their guidebooks are around 30% more expensive than the Rough Guide withg less information and no colour photos in the past. Now this is already a RIP-OFF. Their recent issues have colur pictures added but information still much less or outdated compared to Rough Guide. Still much more expensive, so please boycott them !!

b) And their Thorn Tree Forum, your messages have to please them or their bunch of moderators, or else they will just delete them or even ban you without reasons. Several occasions, I notice some good posters being driven away because of open messages.

c) The budget hotels recommendations in the LP guide cannot be relied. Many times, I find much better guesthouses and budget hotels which are even cheaper but they are not mentioned. I asked 2 of the guesthouses owners, they told me they cannot afford to pay the Lonely Guide Book so they are left out.
Jul 13, 2008 21:38
  • LLYNN
unpleasant things indeed happen in daily life. it is better to be careful
Aug 3, 2008 01:24
  • APAULT
I just find it's too heavy to carry, they need to remove all the rubbish about banks and ATM's...they are everywhere. Maybe we need two versions, one for the budget traveller and one for the fat cats - I have no interest in the up market hotels.
Aug 3, 2008 07:13
  • ELLYSE
I cannot speak for the other branches of ThornTree, but on the North-East Asia forum, I beg to disagree that you have to please the moderators. Moderators do know the rules and will delete advertising or other inappropriate posts. They do not delete posts just on a whim as every move is logged.
Aug 15, 2008 01:30
GUEST68106 Hi,

i am going to Maucau on mid of January 09 then catch bus to Shenzhen,its anyone here know any station near city of Shenzhen to GuangXi (NanNing)?

Thanks a lot.And

Wish you all have a nice Weekend!! :)
Aug 16, 2008 23:54
  • ELLYSE
Excuse me? Station in (or near?) Shenzhen with WHAT going to Nanning?
Aug 27, 2008 22:39
GUEST16837 I was accosted 2 weeks ago whilst in the male toilet at Shenzhen railway station by 2 guys who wanted my money and bag (I am a 42 year old Aussie guy). I had just returned gtom Guanzhou and was heading to my hotel (Shangi-La) Unfortunately, the guys quickly discovered that I have been a cage fighter for more than 25 years and both will NEVER try and rip off tourists in that manner again. Well,,,,,maybe when their arms come out of the casts and their noses, ribs and fingers heal!!
Aug 27, 2008 23:20
  • DODGER
Thanks for the “good news” story guest.
You’re lucky that they didn’t call the cops though as it would have been you in the back of the wagon.
Dodger.
Aug 28, 2008 04:17
  • TRAVELLER1
Thank you SIVA for opening this thread. Yes I have experienced a travel trap, by a hotel in Beijing.

Hotel Name: TianAn Tianlun Rega Hotel
Address: TianAn Mansion, Hualong Jie, Nan Heyan Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100006 P.R.C
Tel:86-10-85110088
www.tianantianlunregahotel.com

It has good website but beware!!!

TianAn breaks promise and lies about being an airconditioned hotel.
They make different lies for every time a complain is made.
People are warned and advised not to stay at this hotel. The temperature is usually over 27degrees
centigrade, which is very hot.

I hope to pass this message on to people so that others are not cheated by their promises.

There are many hotels in Beijing better than this one. I am not saying all other hotels are better than
this one. Some might be worse, whether it is in China or other country, but for my personal experience,
this one is bad and lies about its facility, and tell different lies each time a complain is made. So just
don't go to this TianAn.

Does anyone know if there is any travelling websites where people suggest good hotels and warn others off
bad hotels? Please let me know. I should check some information from these sites to avoid bad experience
next time I travel.
Sep 7, 2008 13:18
GUEST23057 I made arrangements with Yiqifei travel consultants for a friend of mine to travel from China to the U.S. Come to find out they couldn't fulfill their promise on a fight time etc. but kept our money! Does anyone know if they are for real? Contact me at yahoo.com|tbillotte
Page 9 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code