Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Nov 28, 2007 10:34
  • BETWEENUS21
hi Camnadaguy - "By the way, during my trip I took a plane from Shanghai back to Guangzhou and had a second opportunity to take a taxi into Guangzhou.
I travelled the same distance into the heart of Guangzhou as I did the first time. This time we paid around 40RMB!!! "

I do not think that one can actually take a taxi from baiyun airport to Guangzhou city downtown for a rmb40 - its likely rmb140.

Nov 28, 2007 21:00
  • CANADAGUY
>>I do not think that one can actually take a taxi from baiyun airport to Guangzhou city downtown for a rmb40 - its likely rmb140.<<

Betweenus you are probably right!
I can't remember exactly how we did it it now, but we probably took a bus first, and then a taxi when we got into town for 40 RMB.

Something like that. I just remember that the taxi ride was *so* much cheaper this time. :)

Dec 16, 2007 09:02
  • ICLEE
Hey...is that a chow dog?
Mar 6, 2008 03:10
GUEST33897
Xian Terracotta Warrior Museum

Don't fall ffor the following scam from internet advertised English speaking tour guides and their non English speaking driver - if you opt for only hiring of driver and vehicle, he will drop you off away and not in sight of the Terracotta Warrior entrance and will pre-arrange for his English speaking guide waiting for you when you arrive even though you already advise you don't want one. You are forced to hire his guide because you won't be able to find your way to the entrance.

I suggest you try you luck by taking a taxi from the ranks - from my calculation it about half the price of tour guides driver and vehicle. Further I suggest you print a copy of google satellite image of the terracotta site

http://www.wikimapia.org/sys/search/?q=xian terracotta warroirs are approx 40km east of Xian

http://jasonpearce.com/blog/2007/06

Mar 13, 2008 16:26
GUESTKEN Thanks, I'll remember and keep that in mind, there is no FREE lunch.

Apr 2, 2008 12:10
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
This "travel trap" is not caused by any agency, but can really screw your trip. When traveling through the Nanjing Lukou Airport, make sure you check the weather reports. During winter, the fog can get so bad that no flights can leave. I've been stuck at that airport twice--good thing I didn't have connecting flights then. Once, I had to wait the whole day at the airport.

I guess fog is something that's quite hard to avoid or predict. But it would be good to consider that this may happen, especially when planning a trip during the winter months.
Apr 8, 2008 11:09
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
I took one of the red three-wheeled mini-taxis in Qingdao recently. I asked the driver how much to go to Wu Si Square. He told me it would cost RMB20. I though it was acceptable, since I would have cost me around RMB10, and taxis were a little rare then. The driver was nice and even greeted me with a few English words -- at least he pretended well.

When my wife and I reached Wu Si Square, I gave the driver a 20 kuai bill. He immediately explained that 20 was for one person, and that we both had to pay RMB40. I was left speechless with annoyance and just said, "Tai gui le! Wo gei ni san shi kuai!" (too expensive. I'll give you RMB30!). I was quite annoyed, but my wife was more irritated. If she knew Chinese, I swear she would have cursed at the driver.
Apr 21, 2008 15:55
  • WANHU
I have never experienced mishap with travel agency as I used none, but beware of friendly sellers in Luohu market near the railway station in Shenzhen. I travelled to China for my health treatment, for Chinese complimentary medicine and treatment. I have been frequenting the shops many times, but most products are priced more than 50% higher than Guangzhou. You need to know how to bargain. I thought of buying one hand bag for my daughter which was initially priced at 600RMB. They would say: Uncle, this is special price for you. Imagine after the bargain, finally I managed to buy the hand bag at 150RMB. You need to bargain for all products eventhough they consider you as their regular customer.
Jul 6, 2008 03:20
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
This is not really a travel trap but I wanted to throw this in from my own experience.

I find that, if you let people who serve you regularly such as a favorite restaurant or employees in a hotel when you are leaving, that the service starts to slide downhill. But this is probably true everywhere.
Jul 7, 2008 00:13
GUESTANGIERA... Well i use to find out some time from my busy schedule for roaming.But i was cheated by many agents.They make us to do shopping more and more and also take us to uncommon places.

angie
Page 8 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code