Menu
A foreigner and traveling alone to China; any recommendations?
Nov 2, 2007 02:26
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi GuestCN,

Please don't worry about coming here. China is a great place to travel and I am really sure you will have no MAJOR problems in the cities you have mentioned. They are all big tourist cities in China which does mean that hotels are more expensive and especially if you want to stay near the airports - which are usually some way out of the main city.

If you pre-book your hotel over the internet, they should be able to give you directions for how to get there. Either the address in Chinese to give to a taxi driver, or the easiest ways by public transport. This applies to places away from the airport too.

It may be worth considering staying away from the airports for cheaper accommodation and asking the hotels how to get there.

You could consider staying in hostels too ? You can meet lots of other foreigners there who you can travel with/share experiences with etc.

http://www.chinahotelsreservation.com/
http://www.cheap-hostels-in.com/china.htm
http://www.hostelchina.com/
Nov 2, 2007 09:36
  • GUEST123
Hi, May I know how much the taxie cost from pudong airport to Barony Wanyan Hotel, Chang Yi Road?.
Thanks!
Nov 5, 2007 06:56
  • ELLYSE
Tours are always expensive. They've done all the research and homework for you, needed to make your trip a smooth one. So of course they're going to charge you for that!
And it's not wise to try and stay near the international (Pudong) airport in Shanghai. That's ages away from anywhere of sightseeing interest.
If you want accommodation recommendations, be more specific about your expected price range and dates of stay.
For the poster staying at Barony Wanyuan Hotel: What time is your flight arriving?
Nov 7, 2007 02:25
  • GERALDINE
Hi there
we have just returned from a 6 week stint in this lovely country by ourselves and we did not find it difficult at all. We stayed in budget places and found the mix of locals and foreigners to be wonderful.
Agree- book train tickets early or you can miss out- learn language basics, hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, the people really appreciate it. The Lonely Planet phrase book is great.
Lonely Planet guide is our bible- it gives a good indication of costs for travel, directions for main attractions and bus numbers to get places and the names are written in Chinese so the taxi drivers can read where you want to go.
Most locals are more than helpful if you need something and will do all they can to give assistance.
Relax and enjoy this wonderful country-
Best of luck and enjoy your holiday.
Nov 8, 2007 08:10
  • JOEZHOU
Don't worry. China is safe and Chinese are friendly.
We can help you how to save your time, energy and money during your trip anywhere and anytime in CHINA.
We will give you the optimized itinerary.
Gtalk: gmail.com|travelingislife
Nov 8, 2007 08:10
  • JOEZHOU
Don't worry. China is safe and Chinese are friendly.
We can help you how to save your time, energy and money during your trip anywhere and anytime in CHINA.
We will give you the optimized itinerary.
Gtalk: gmail.com|travelingislife
Nov 23, 2007 15:54
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I will be very honest with you. Learn Chinese, Mandarin, that is for basics like going to a place or for ordering food or shopping. I was in Beijing, not a lot of people speak English. Finding people who speak English is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Most of the time, the only people who know English are those who are working in hotels and in travel industry. Even then, don't expect them to be fluent. Not even the people in Xidan where you want to book flights speak English! Do not just approach anyone and think they speak English, you'd be very disappointed.
Dec 5, 2007 09:23
  • BROCCO
Just got back from travelling ALONE in China (seven cities - internal flights, trains and cabs/guides....)
The only problem I had was with people trying to extract money out of me.....this was more or less constant....and terrible in Shanghai.
Curiously I found myself pretty gullible at first despite my knowing that often I was being taken for a ride....!?!
I think this is part of the problem....you want to have the experiences but there's always a price to pay, literally!
However, I never felt in any personal danger. The Chinese are pretty pragmatic. If they cant sell you something they'll find somebody else.
Next time I will know a bit more Mandarin and be a bit more savvy.........Great country though, fascinating and I also found the Chinese have great humour. Confounded expectations.
Nov 11, 2008 19:00
GUEST44157 Don't bother. It's dirty, lost all of the Chinese traditions, and they will just take the piss.

Go to Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia etc. TRUST ME.
Jul 6, 2009 14:19
GUEST46114 hello i will travel as well alone to china but im a girl and i know chinese just a little bit what is your recomendation i might go to HK and shanghai beijin xian and i want to travel to tibet what should i do?
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A foreigner and traveling alone to China; any recommendations?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code