Menu
"I am ugly and proud of it"
Mar 24, 2008 04:21
  • ZOEY
Usually, those who are not good looking feel unconfident and have have an inferiority complex. However, there are still some brave people who don't feel unconfident even though they are not good looking. In an article, the author suggest that the government should impose a special tax on these beautiful people to subsidize these ugly ones (of course in a teasing way). What do you think of this idea? For those who don't have good appearance, what can they do to build their confidence?

The article-----"I'am ugly and proud of it"
By Jude Webber
Monday, March 24, 2008

Source: FT.

I was the ugly one at school - the kid with the Coke-bottle glasses, the spots, the braces. I got picked on all the time. I was treated not just as ugly, but as an idiot. Instead of learning maths, I learned to despise myself. My parents - I got the worst of both of them in the looks department - didn't really know how I was being treated at school. They couldn't understand why my grades kept going down and why I was a troublemaker. They sent me to all sorts of psychologists. I thought of killing myself -
I could imagine myself at home, with the knife in my hand. Going out with girls was torture - I had to make hundreds of phone calls just to get a date and the goal was to try not to get dumped on the street corner as soon as they saw me. By then, I'd worked out that at school the best reaction was to be funny about it so that I wouldn't get teased. I became quite a character.

Mar 24, 2008 04:21
  • ZOEY
But I was suffering from ''aesthetic anorexia''. I ignored my dentist and got rid of my braces and spent a fortune on glasses with lenses that didn't look too thick. I had laser surgery on my eyes - I didn't care that it was earlier than recommended. I had hair implants. I was thinking about other surgical procedures like another implant and liposuction. I tried all kinds of diets, I spent hours at the gym. I was a total slave to the mirror - it was utter aesthetic desperation. I was trying to turn into a prince from a sad, ugly frog, but I still felt sad and ugly.I decided to write a book about my experiences of being visually unappealing in Argentina, a country with the most beautiful women in the world. I called it Ugly. It was great therapy. There aren't any other books about what it's like to be ugly and not turn into a swan. I think an ugly duckling has to be happy to be ugly.I realised ideal beauty is a racket. It doesn't exist. Most people can't spend the four or five hours a day in the gym that you need to have a perfect body, and starving yourself in a country where food is plentiful is a kind of ostentation. It's perverse. I even said that there should be a tax on beautiful people to subsidise us ugly ones. The government ignored me, of course, but this month I'm meeting people from the education ministry to talk about devising some anti-bullying material to use in classrooms. Because of my book, teenagers confide things to me that they can't tell anyone else, so I want to use this and do something positive to help build ugly kids' self-esteem. In my case, I transplanted all the insecurities I'd had at school into the world of work and I wasted 10 years. I'm trying to get over it. I'm 31 now. I went from being a loser with women to being a Don Juan while I was writing the book - I became an expert at picking up women in the street, but they were all one-night stands. I've still only had one girlfriend in my life. Women used to give me the brush-off. Now they know me as ''the ugly one''. But lots of women are afraid of going out with me because they think I'm writing another book and they'll be in it. But things can't change until people do, and we can all stop relying on the mirror - especially the girls.

Mar 24, 2008 21:26
  • BBQQ
This reminds me of a Chinese popular saying-----I am ugly but I am gentle (perhaps tender is better). Appearance is not the most important thing but it really matters. It is said that these beautiful people are easy to get promotion in the companies. Is this true?
Mar 25, 2008 07:26
  • APAULT
Perhaps Korean soapies should be banned then as a bad influence! If you aren't beautiful you are not on Korean TV.
Mar 25, 2008 21:28
  • JIMMYB
"Perhaps Korean soapies should be banned then as a bad influence! If you aren't beautiful you are not on Korean TV."

Paul, I can't agree with you any more. Some actors on Korean TV actually are not handsome but like women. However, these young girls are very crazy about them. I really don't understand why they like women-like men.

Just have a look at this picture.

Mar 25, 2008 21:50
  • DODGER
Perhaps Jimmy it is because they find Men that look like this unthreatening?
Dodger.
Mar 26, 2008 20:49
  • JIMMYB
"Perhaps Jimmy it is because they find Men that look like this unthreatening?"

Well, he is unthreatening but a little bit sissy. It is said that he has performed as a girl in a TV series. Really surprising! Judging from his apperance, he can perform a girl.
Mar 27, 2008 21:37
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Speaking of 'beautiful' Korean guys, here's Kim Hee Chul, a member of Super Junior if I remember it right. Yea, it's a guy. O_o

Mar 27, 2008 21:48
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Gackt, Japanese musician, very popular among the girls all over Asia. Yea, he's a guy, too. I had to cut the pic to make it tamer hehe... ^_^"

Mar 27, 2008 21:56
  • SHESGOTTOBE
And just who in Continental America doesn't know Danny Noriega? Even though he's openly gay, that doesn't stop girls from dreaming. LOL!

Mar 29, 2008 12:01
  • JCNILE123
The article-----"I'am ugly and proud of it"
By Jude Webber

If you are proud and self-conscious of been ugly, why do you make a case out of it?

I will think there is an underling sense of insecurity on the statement.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: "I am ugly and proud of it"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code