GUEST15042 santa is cool and awsome his number is a secret
Dec 4, 2009 12:52
GUEST23149 Hey,
wat do snata claus look like?!
Dec 5, 2009 04:59
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

He is supposed to have derived from Saint Nicholas a Bishop in Greece in the 3rd centaury AD,
Known for his love of children.
Dodger.

Dodger, I think Saint Nicholas and santa are two different ones? I heard some French stories about Saint Nicholas and maybe there's even a different day for him? Yolanda
Dec 5, 2009 19:22
  • DODGER
Yolanda, the Romans high jacked many of the old Greek gods and renamed them. Same deity though.
The early Christian church used the same tactic. It took most of the dates of the pagan festivals and renamed them. For example, there was a celebration around the 25th December already in place. I can’t remember off hand what it was called. But it was replaced with the supposed birth of JC.
Quite possibly the same thing happened to Saint Nick/Santa Clause. Santa is a translation from Latin of Saint BTY.
So again, it is possible that there was a pagan deity connected to the December festival that the early church renamed to fit its dogma.
The days of the week are named after old Norse and Greek/Roman gods, which have not been changed….yet.
Cheers, Dodger.
Dec 6, 2009 10:30
  • HERBEAT
Thank you Dodger. That's a lot of new knowledge to me. But anyway, I love Christmas because lots of things will be on sale and I love Santa, the music and the feeling of Christmas.^-^
Dec 6, 2009 22:58
  • DODGER
Yolanda, I’m looking for a Santa suit. If you happen to find one (in Beijing) please let me know.
Cheers, Dodger.
Dec 7, 2009 00:31
GUESTHOHOHO The first Europeans to arrive in the New World brought St. Nicholas. Vikings dedicated their cathedral to him in Greenland. On his first voyage, Columbus named a Haitian port for St. Nicholas on December 6, 1492. In Florida, Spaniards named an early settlement St. Nicholas Ferry, now known as Jacksonville. However, St. Nicholas had a difficult time during the 16th century Protestant Reformation which took a dim view of saints. Even though both reformers and counter-reformers tried to stamp out St. Nicholas-related customs, they had very little long-term success except in England where the religious folk traditions were permanently altered. (It is ironic that fervent Puritan Christians began what turned into a trend to a more secular Christmas observance.) Because the common people so loved St. Nicholas, he survived on the European continent as people continued to place nuts, apples, and sweets in shoes left beside beds, on windowsills, or before the hearth.

Santa Claus is a creation of American pop culture, made popular by the media, and Hollywood. Anyone wearing the easily recognizable red outfit can look like Santa Claus - he or she looks the same all over the world and climatic condition seldom dictates how Santa would look.
Dec 7, 2009 01:30
  • HERBEAT
Hi Dodger, are you in Beijing now? I'm not far away from downtown and maybe I could help you with it. Anyway I would probably go there on Sundays...
Dec 7, 2009 04:37
  • DODGER
Yolanda, I found a Santa suit this afternoon at the wholesale markets.
25 RMB for the hat, beard, pants and jacket.
Yes, been in Beijing for nearly two years now.
Dodger.
Dec 7, 2009 09:38
  • HERBEAT
Wow, that's a long time. I just arrived at Beijing several days ago and probably would be here at least till the new year... Sorry I didn't help you with the Santa suit. But may I ask what's that for? Are you going to the street and show it or just some fun at home? And 25 RMB? Are you kidding? I lived in China for more than 20 years and I don't think I could do such a bargain. So would you like to open a class and teach how you could get such a low price? And which wholesale market do you mean? If you don't mind me asking...
Page 3 of 15    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What does Santa Claus look like?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code