Menu
Foxconn employee commits suicide over iPhone leak interrogations
Jul 21, 2009 04:43
  • LEONARDO
According to Nanfang Daily, Sun Danyong, a 25-year-old employee at Foxconn, an electronic manufacuring company, committed suicide on July 16th after a harsh interrogation on the loss of an iPhone.

Sun Danyong, graduated from the prestigious Harbin Institute of Technology, was in charge of handling a shipment of 16 iPhone prototypes ( N90 the 4th generation of iPhone). Apple received only 15 prototypes and one lost. Apple’s secery policy was strict. Apple doubted that Foxconn would have deliberately leaked their business secrecy of manufacuring iPhone N90, which imposed a heavy pressure on Foxconn(Foxconn a manufacturing company for iPhone). As the person reponsible for the shipment, Sun was under suspicion and underwent severe interrogation by the Security Division of Foxconn. It was reported that the security guys used the “inappropriate interrogation methods” such as searching Sun’s body and house, holding him in solitary confinement and even beating him. Sun Danyong can’t bear the “intolerable interrogation techniques”, and jumped from a 12-storey building on July 16, 2009.

After the death of the employee, Foxconn issued a statement expressing their apology for the incident and saying that the chief of Foxconn’s Central Security Division has been suspended his duty and the company was internally investigating the security team.

As it is understood that Foxconn spokesperson has told the media that "regardless of the reason of Sun's suicide, it is to some extent a reflection of Foxconn's internal management deficiencies, especially in how to help young workers cope with the psychological pressures of working life at the company."

Foxconn is a big electronics products manufacturer owned by a Twainese businessman. It is one of the Fortune Global 500 Companies based in mainland China. Well, I have ever heard that Foxconn was nicknamed as “a sweatshop”. Two years ago, two of my former classmates joined “the Fortune Global 500 Company”-Foxconn. Tonight, I will make a call to them to see how is their lives going on in Foxconn. I hope they are well. I hope Foxconn wouldn’t be “Foxy Conn”. I wonder how many “sweatshops” in Shenzhen and in China as a whole?
How does your empployer treat you? For those expats in China, what do you think of (your) Chinese employers?

(Photo: screenshots of Sun's text messages to his girlfriend and former classmates before his suicide)

Jul 21, 2009 18:21
  • MARRIE
Most Taiwanese, I heard, run family business in towns and villiages in mainland, And the owners are notorious for mean and stingy. Besides, they usually hire relatives as labors, watchers and hatchet men that are so called security group in this case. The more funny thing is the way they cut cost, for example, assigning their wives three positions, ie, watcher, secretary and assembly worker, In Shanghai, we offer them a funny title : the Rusty Poor Tai.-台巴子. Here in the west, they also run family business- selling fake cells.

Jul 21, 2009 21:31
  • DRAGONBALL
Taiwanese businessmen are very hard on employees. The salary is stingy but the workload is heavy.
Jul 21, 2009 22:03
  • ICEBLUE
Foxconn had a bad reputation in Guangdong Province. It was heard that the foremen are extremely bad-mannered.
Employees were being disciplined.

Last edited by ICEBLUE: Jul 21, 2009 22:04
Jul 22, 2009 04:57
GUESTHATHE Foxconn had abusive employment practices. An iPhone is more important than an employee's life?
Jul 22, 2009 08:33
GUEST19230 Foxconn should be paid heavy penalty for this
Jul 22, 2009 22:04
  • JIMMYB
Very sad story! In the incident, Sun Danyong’ apartment was illegally searched after one prototype went missing. Foxconn is major manufacturing firm which handles assembly and production for Apple on many products such as iPod and iPhone. Foxconn is obedient to Apply but mean to its workers. The law does not entitle any private owners to search its employee’s residence. Only the law enforcement bodies (eg. Shenzhen Police) have the right to search Sun’s apartment.

Apple has spoken to the media through his spokesperson: "We are saddened by the tragic loss of this young employee, and we are awaiting results of the investigations into his death. We require our suppliers to treat all workers with dignity and respect." Hopefully, Apple’s pressure can urge Foxconn to improve its poor and unfair working conditions.

Sun Danyong killed himself by jumping out of a window of his 12th appartment in the morning of July 16.

Jul 23, 2009 19:20
  • MARRIE
I have some questions.
1.where is the so called 'apple' located?
2.Did Sun take 16 protocals with him to 'apple' or were the protocals shipped by shipping company? If the answer is the latter, the liability shall falls on shipping company.

I am wondering if this APPLE is really listed in Fortune 500...
Jul 26, 2009 04:31
  • FADISH
The poor guy made a silly thing. He should charged the foxconn. His suicide left his parents and girlfriend in pain.
Jul 28, 2009 22:30
GUESTSHENZHE... I am a guy in Shenzhen. The lastest update:
Foxconn has agreed to compensate the family of the deceased employee. They confiremd a one-off payment of 36,000 Yuan on Sunday to the parents of Sun Danyong. 36,000 Yuan can compensate for the loss of a 25-year-old son? Foxconn is ridiculous!
Jul 29, 2009 17:51
  • GROWTHRING
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTSHENZHENGUY

I am a guy in Shenzhen. The lastest update:
Foxconn has agreed to compensate the family of the deceased employee. They confiremd a one-off payment of 36,000 Yuan on Sunday to the parents of Sun Danyong. 36,000 Yuan can compensate for the loss of a 25-year-old son? Foxconn is ridiculous!

Guest, is Chinese that cheap? Chinese traditionally is discouraged to fight for their rights to avoid conflicts, which is happening to overseas Chinese who uaually is the first to be gargeted if something happens.

The family of the deceased one could try to seek long-term law suit against Apple. Lawyers who dream of be well-known overnight will accept this job for free.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foxconn employee commits suicide over iPhone leak interrogations
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code