A Tour to Hong Kong

Written by Jan 13, 2010 01:41
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

After traveling Beijing and Shanghai, I headed for Hong Kong as planned. When I was young, I read lots of fictions with Tai-pans, dashing heroes & action and saw some of the Bruce Lee films. Most of them were set against Hong Kong, and I finally got the chance to explore it by myself.

Hong Kong is a mix of east and west and gateway to China, after returning to China in 1977, Hong Kong has the official name Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. It is made up of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories. The most prosperous parts are Hong Kong Island and the southern section of Kowloon Peninsula.

My plane launched at Hong Kong International Airport located on Lantau Island. It was still early to check in the hotel my friend booked for me, so I went to Ngong Ping, which is on Lantau Island, not quite far from the airport. It took about 10 minutes' ride on S1 from the airport to Tung Chung Bus Terminus, which is next to the Ngong Ping Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal, the place to take Ngong Ping Cable Car. After a marvelous cable car experience for about 25 minutes, I reached the top and visited the mighty Big Buddha and the Buddhism holy land Polin Monastery. That place was called Ngong Ping Village and 3 hours past when I went down to Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal. Then I hopped on MTR at Tung Chung station and moved for the place where I was to stay. Unfortunately, the hotel was fully occupied and I was transfer to its sister hotel, the Novotel at the West Point on Hong Kong Island. Though it was not as convenient as the previous one, the service was excellent and the staff was nice. After a short rest, I proceeded on to Star Ferry, the little, double-decked boat that runs regularly between Central and Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. So I was then transferred to Kowloon from Hong Kong Island. It was a little dark and the right time for night market, the Ladies' Market and the Temple Street. When time run to 20:00, I was at the Avenue of Stars adoring those super stars and also awaiting the Symphony of Lights. It was cloudy and misty, a good day for laser performance. Awesome!

The second day I went for the Ocean Park. The staff of the park told me that I went at the right time. It was actually on weekdays when children were in school thus there were no crowds. Those cute and lovely marine animals and their wonderful performance appear in my dreams now and then. I highly suggest this park on your Hong Kong travel agenda. This is also true of the next stop, the Peak, boasting the most recognizable views of Hong Kong. High on top of the hills, it has spectacular view of the Victoria Harbor, Kowloon and the city in general. Two ways to go up: by taxi or tram, and the tram was which I think sort of expensive yet the best way. It was beautiful up there. Whatever way you will choose, remember to go up there. When the second night drew, I was in Lan Kwai Fong, the most famous bar district in Hong Kong located at Hong Kong Island. Those bars and eateries were all westernized with simple furnishing. I was in La Doice Vita 97, drinking in the live music show. It attracts the white collars and the westerners at night. I stayed until the Happy Hour ends and went back to the hotel as the next day was kind of big day.

The next big day was spent exploring the so-called wonder land Hong Kong Disney. It was much smaller than those in Tokyo, U.S. etc, which made me a little disappointed. Anyway, it is not a bad choice for those from Asia, esp. South East Asians who are on a tight budget but yet dream of a magical Disney experience.

So much about some major spots I visited and the loose structure of the paragraphs, here comes something that may be of some practical use.

Hong Kong has excellent transportation system. The MTR has many exits to adjourning street, so passengers are exempted from walking under the sun unnecessarily. Do mark sure that when booking a hotel in Hong Kong that is adjacent to MTR stations. And do get an Octopus Card. It works pretty much everywhere except for McDonalds, 7-11 and so on. If time and money permits, consider a side trip to Macau, 15 minutes helicopter ride from Hong Kong.

In conclusion, it was a nice trip and I would love to go back Hong Kong for a second time!

More Hong Kong Travel Reviews
1. Unfair trade practice in Hongkong LUCAS6280 Apr 7, 2009 09:55
2. Hong Kong's Secret Garden (It's Free!) JSUMMERS83 from CN Feb 5, 2009 10:25
3. <A> SAMPANS, SAND, AND SEA : HONG KONG BECKONS YOU BRIJKAPOOR from IN Mar 8, 2008 03:59
Comments (12)

Mar 14, 2013 21:35 Reply

Mrs.DAISY GORGONIA from Philippines said:

Hello, I would like to ask suggestions for our 5 days family vacation in HK. Can you suggest a safe, clean budget hotels in an area accessible to shopping, restaurants, MTR's etc.. and a proposed 5 day activities that would make our stay fruitful in HK. Thank you.

Mar 15, 2011 19:21 Reply

Mrs.IRENE from United Kingdom said:

Arriving hongkong @ 5.45pm, staying at YMCA will just view the symphony of lights and walk around Avenue of Stars on the day. Next day is Sunday are the shopping malls open? We have 3 days to see: 1 Victoria Peak 2 Ocean Park 3 Aberdeen Harbour, Jumbo Restaurant, Stanley Market,etc 4 Macau Pls suggest the best way to maximise time or tell us whether we can group some places together. Do you think we should go somewhere on the Sunday which is not too crowded? P/S will be visiting HK on Sat 7th May to 11th May 2011 Thank you

Mar 16, 2011 20:31
Mr.FRANK from China replied:

The shopping malls in Hk are open everyday. YMCA is near to Hk Tsim Sha Tsui metro station, so you can take tsuen wan line from TST to admiralty to take bus no. 629 to ocean park. Then take bus no. 629 back to admiralty, exit from Exit C1 to take bus no. 15 to Victoria Peak. After that, take bus no. 15 from the peak to central to take tsuen wan line back to Yau Ma Tei to temple street night market. On the second day, take bus no. 973 to Aberdeen harbour and Jumbo restaurant, and then still take bus no. 973 to stanley market. On the third day, make a one-day tour to Macau by ferry from Hk China Ferry terminal at TST.

Jan 27, 2011 14:35 Reply

Ms.BAWA from phils. said:

please help me how to get to macau if i arrive chek lap kok airport at 1:00 A.M, are there still available bus or transit? if none, what time is the first bus or transit leave from airport to the ferry terminal for macau and back to hongkong straight to my hotel in argyle st. in mongkok and how much is the total cost of my trip?

Jan 27, 2011 20:41
Mr.BRUCE from China replied:

I'm afraid you have to stay at Hk over night and haed for Macau the next day, since there is bo transport to Macau at 1:00am. The first ferry from HKIA SkyPier to macau departs around 08:00. It takes about 50 minutes and the ticket fare is about HKD180 per person. From Macau to Hk, you cna take a ferry from Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal to Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal at Tsim Sha Tusi near to Mong Kok. It costs about HKD140.00 for 60-75 minutes.

Jan 26, 2011 11:33 Reply

Ms.MARIZ from phils. said:

arriving in hongkong international airport 1:00 a.m, what is the best possible means to go to the ocean park and what time will the transpo operate in the morning and how much will it cost me to get there, then to victoria peak, ride the tram, to madam tussauds,ave. of stars, symphony of lights, then to our hotel in mongkok. on our second day, to star ferry ride then to disneyland and back to our hotel in mongkok and how much also. can we still visit macau on our 3rd day considering that our departure back to the phils. is 1:35 pm? and how much will it cost me to get and back straight to airport? Thanks a lot!

Jan 26, 2011 20:40
Mr.BRUCE from China replied:

I think you should find a hotel near Hk airport to have a rest, and go to ocean park at around 08:30, since the ocean park opens at 10:00. You may take bus no. E11 from the airport to Tin Hau Station, and then transfer to Bus no. 629 to Ocean park. It costs about HKD32 totally. To victoria peak, take bus no. 629 to admiralty, and then walk to the tram station for about 15 minutes to visit the Madam Tussauds. Later, take the tram or bus no. 15 from the peak to central to take HK MTR tsuen wan line to tsim sha tusi to enjoy avenue of star and symphony of lights. Lastly, take tsuen wan line to Mong Kong. It costs about HKD100 for a round-way for the transport. On the second day, take tsuen wan line to lai king, transfer to tung chung line to sunny bay, and change to disneyland resort line finally. It costs about HKD46 for a round-way for the transport. On the third day, if your flight is at 1;35 pm, I don't think you have enough time to make a side trip to Macau. I advise you spend some time at Ngong Ping 360 near the airport. It costs about HKD33 by bus from your hotel to the airport.

Jan 20, 2011 02:02 Reply

Ms.SYANGI from phils said:

can anybody help us on how to get to the ff. destinations fast and how much pls? fr. airport to ngong ping cable car ride, to tian tan buddha for half day only, then catch up to disneyland after which to our hotel in argyle st. in mongkok. and on our 2nd day, fr. our hotel to star ferry ride, then to the peak, to madam tussauds, to victoria peak, to the avenue of atars, then to the symphony of lights and finally back to our hotel in argyle st. we would like to know the estimate more or less ahead of our scheduled trip come february 28 to march 3, 2011. thanks.

Jan 20, 2011 20:07
Mr.STEVEN from China replied:

From HK airport to Ngong Ping 360, you can take Bus no. S1 from the airport to Tung Chung Metro Station, and then walk to the cable car station of Ngong Ping 360 within 5 minutes. Then take the cable car back to Tung Chung, take HK MTR tung chung line to Sunny bay, transfer to Disneyland resort line to disneyland. To your hotel, take disneyland resort line to sunny bay , transfer to Tung Cung Line to Lai King, again transfer to Tsuen wan line to Mong kok, and walk out of the station and walk to your hotel. The second day, take Tsuen wan line from Mong Kok to Central, take bus 15C to the Tram station of Victoria Peak, namely The Peak, and Madam Tussauds is just there. After that, use the same way to back to Central metro station to take tsuen line to TST to enjoy avenue of star and symphony of lights.

Page 1 of 3PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.