Ancient City Wall

Written by Jun 29, 2006 02:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

the reason why I did not climb upon the city wall before

You may not believe it though I lived in Xian for more than twenty years ,I did not climb upon the ancient city wall .

Did you heard of that saying ? "the grass is much greener out of the fence ,until you see it ..." Yes , I always dreaming of having a adventure tour to other cities , but ignore the truth that I lived in a famous tourist city which has long history and culture , harmony combines both ancient and modern .what a shame :-(

As a Xian local ,I live in the north suburb, the opposite direction towards my company , so I have to take a bus to get through the downtown area from north gate to south gate everyday ,the architecture is marvellous and majestical , but I have no mood to appreciate its beauty because I'm hurry to get to my office .

It was until yesterday afternoon I finally have the chance to see and touch what the real city wall is :-)

Ahoy , I'm on it

After paying the admission fee RMB 40 , I began my first close touch with the city wall , how I wish I were still a student at that time , if in that case ,I only need to pay RMB 20 ,snicker~~

The wall is really majestical , we steped upon from the south gate ,Yongning (eternal peace) Gate. It is the most beautiful part among the four gates , you can have a good bird view sight here , take a overlook to the north , Bell tower and the most busiest shopping area-south street are under your view ,they are quite different as usual , the Bell Tower looks much grand and splendid , the south street is tidy and capacious with lush trees decorated .

The road is commodious and flat here , double seat bike can be rented and you can aslo take electrical sight seeing bus , we decieded to stroll by our own . There are not many tourists at 7 p.m. , a few locals were strolling and some foreigners ride bikes , they looks enjoy it very much , laughters can be heard continously , The sun is turning down at the west , looks like a vitellus ,very cute . Look down to the south , it is a circular park along the city wall ,it is a best place for locals to enjoy the cool , parvilions are hidden under the verdant trees ,ask a drink , listen to the music , dance or chat with others ,people looks so idyllic and carefree , a few of them are singing Shaanxi opera ,gained a lot of applause .Of course I can understand Shaanxi dialect but I cann't hear clearly what they are singging about , still very exciting to see the flok stars :)

When it is dark , red lanterns were lightened , adding more beauty to the ancient city wall , have a deep breathing ,imagining time fly back to thouand of years ago , soldiers were stationed here to defend from offendings, centuries after ,I'm here standing on the place where they stood , I feel ease and happy , though the city wall does not maintain its defending function , it has more to offer , thanks to ancestors .

More Xian Travel Reviews
1. <A>AN EMPEROR'S ARMY - NOW A WORLD HERITAGE BRIJKAPOOR from IN Apr 29, 2006 23:04
2. Thoughts and Dreams of an Old City XIANJORDAN from CN Jan 19, 2006 02:01
3. Hiking Lishan and our Afternoon with Emperor Qin XIANJORDAN from CN Jan 19, 2006 02:01
Comments (3)

Feb 9, 2007 05:46 Reply

YEMMIE said:

Very nice review. You have a natural talent for capturing the mood of a place, and for providing the reader with a vivid description of it. You express yourself very well. Yes, there are a few grammatical errors, but they are not an impediment to understanding and enjoyment. In fact, in their own way, they somehow serve to remind the reader of the cheerful, unassuming, and friendly character of China and her people.

Overtime, your writing will evolve and mature, but I hope it will never lose its current flavor.

Jun 29, 2006 10:26 Reply

JABAROOTOO said:

Good on you Conny!!!!! A great start to your writing. I too have often not visited places so close to my home because they are always there and there is plenty of time to see them or sometimes we just take them for granted. Glad you enjoyed the experience so much.

Jun 29, 2006 03:55 Reply

PINETREE said:

Obviously you find the grass in Xian green enough, lucky gal!

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.