Menu
how much do foreign english teacher's usually make?
Nov 3, 2007 12:20
  • APAULT
Guest28910 Please see my reply to your post in the visa thread.

All International Scholls pay more - they are primarily aimed at the expat mkt and teach to an overseas curriculum, and therefore pay wages approaching overseas wages. You can sometimes get these jobs if you are a suitable career teacher.

Most teachers I know DON'T have another job! In my view it;s pointless: I earn more than I can spend here and if you take it home it's worth very little. If you want to make money, it is usually easier to do it in your own country. Far better in my view is to do as I said in an earlier post - go to a private institution (within the system, not a langauge school) and negotiate ---- my college is like many we are short of teachers. As an aside, the rates do not reflect supply and demand, hence there is a shortage, but the institutions only give us 'part time' hours, based on the low number of hours local teachers expect to work. I spend 60% of my time here on the Net or taking bike rides. I never work in the arvo.

Oct 31, 2009 07:27
I am looking for jobs in China and I dont mind working part time teaching as language is definitely not a barrier to me. But I will like to know how much they paid for a part time English Teacher or even a private tutor?

I am thinking to relocate myself to ShenZhen than maybe move on to Shanghai. Please advise.

Thank you.
Jan 31, 2010 16:36
GUEST83153 this seems interesting but i sit actually worth doing? is a pretty decent life in china possible with a life like this?
May 14, 2010 08:29
GUESTKATE I got the offer to teach English in kindergarten (25 hours a week) in Shaoxing for 4500 RMB a month + 6000 RMB travel return+ free accomodation.

Is this enough to have a dissent life and travel a little?

Jun 10, 2010 16:49
GUEST19526 Hi, I'm 15 and have wanted to teach English in China for a long time. I was just looking at info across the internet and by my converter it tends to be they English teachers only make roughly £796 a month which is less than a bus driver earns! Is this true and if so would you say it's a good idea to follow this aspiration? Thanks!
Jun 29, 2010 08:08
GUEST18623 Any Chinese school worth its salt (not going to work you to death and/or rip you off) probably won't hire you until you're 25, with a BA and a TESL Cert.

Converting the pay to any other currency isn't a good way to look at it... it's a rather depressing way of looking at it. Rather, look at how that money spends within its own economy. In a 2nd or 3rd Tier city, with accommodations paid for, you'll have trouble spending all that money before the next paycheck is deposited. In 1st Tier citys, it's more of the same, though it is much easier to burn through your paycheck since everything's more expensive, and there's just generally more to spend money on.
Sep 18, 2011 19:10
GUESTWUFFRUFF Someone mentioned that using a recruiter is a good idea.
Do you mean using a recruiter from back home or from China?
Do they have recruiters in China and where would I be able to find them?

Is it a good idea to turn up in China and look for work there or should I find work before going over.
Would it be easier to find work if you are already there and available?
Any VISA problems in this case?
Where are good places to look for work?

I would also like to know, in which cities are there the greatest demand and/or shortage of English Teachers?

Also, is there anything in particular that I should pay attention to in the contract.
Is all work by contract?
Is it possible to find shorter term work, like 3 months; and where would I find these?

Some people mentioned private teaching.
May I know how you find your students or advertise yourselves there?

I'm totally new to this.
Sorry for so many questions in one post.
Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Sep 19, 2011 03:23
GUEST40213 I assume you are qualified to find work as a native language teacher. To get a decent legal job you need to be a native language (English?) speaker, hold a degree and teaching
certificate (TEFL etc). You may need teaching experience (2 years) and usually be under 55 years of age. The better your qualifications the better choice of job. Jobs are available for
lower qualifications but lower paid and often in unpopular areas.

Beware, agencies work for their own benefit not for the laowai teacher.

You have to apply for your visa from outside China so not much point in going there to look...and China is a BIG place!

The employer must be registered with the government to employ foreigners, if they are not they cannot provide you with a Z visa. Without the Z visa you cannot work legally in China or obtain a residents permit. Some private schools are too small or greedy to be registered. They may suggest you get an L visa (tourist). It is illegal to work on an L visa.

Contracts are usually for 6 or 12 months and will be in Chinese. Even if offered a translation, it is wise to get your own. The details may differ, check them carefully.

There are good and bad employers. Schools are operated as businesses and some managers are unscrupulous. Most provide you with air fares and accommodation. You may find you are expected to give your time free for out of school activities, parents open days etc. You may also have to make up extra days in lieu of all the public holidays. Check if overtime is mandatory and if they pay extra. You cannot move from one employer to another if you don't like it.
Sep 22, 2011 08:55
GUEST24211 Hi.Im Ann.I've been wanting to go to china to look for a teaching job..But i really don't know how and where to start from....Your utmost help is dearly needed.Could someone help me please.....!Thank you.
Nov 1, 2011 07:08
GUEST18777 I also want to relocate to China as a teacher but at very same time, i`m scared to provide my personal details to recruiters e.g passport,photos and my certificates`Let alone my c.v`
I don`t know if this is only procedure to follow or there is another one.
Is it possible for me to relocate with my three kids and husband?
And lastly please advise where is a good place with a good salary.
Regards
South African
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: how much do foreign english teacher's usually make?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code