Menu
How do Chinese women see laowai
Nov 12, 2007 02:25
  • DODGER
Guest91821,
thanks for you imput on this.
Dodger
Nov 12, 2007 16:56
GUEST88123 Laowai simply means "dumb outsider". Even a Chinese can sometimes be referred to as laowai for being ignorant of certain things.
Nov 12, 2007 18:44
  • KEVIN0518
Quote: Laowai simply means "dumb outsider". Even a Chinese can sometimes be referred to as laowai for being ignorant of certain things.

GUEST88123, I guess he must be Waihang if he is ignorant of cerntain things, not Laowai. Never heard of it before reading your words.
Nov 13, 2007 10:37
GUEST52159 lol, r u another man falling in love with a chinese woman or simply because of the curiosity. Well, i m chinese and i m a girl. thinking about dating a foreigner can be a very personal thing. some girls like foreigners because of the vanity they might gain from the relationship, some might think it's a chance to practise their english, and some, fortunately, have the pure feeling of love.

but generally speaking, in terms of relationship, chinese girls are more conservative than girls from the other parts of the world. it's a culture thing. and since u guys r from a totoally different culture. sometimes, it can be difficult to understand each other. especially when u two r in a serious relationship, the culture differences can trigger big problems and the worst secnario, of course, would be a split up.

it's like all relationships in the world. if u fall in love with a chinese girl. u need to try your very best to understand her. try to think about things in her way and also show her ur sincerity. and if you two mean to be together, you will be, but it needs a lot of effort and patience.

so, good luck! and ask me if u've got more questions, lol. i d love to help.

by the way, LAOWAI is definitly a neutral term. i m 100% sure.but if someone call u YANG GUI ZI, u might need to be careful, cos it's not a nice term and very much stereotyped. but don't take the offense, most chinese are still very cautious about non-chinese. And i only call Japanese Gui Zi, because i don't like them, they killed so many chinese in WII, one of my family member was killed by Japanese soldiers. they r just animals.(personal opinion)

hotmail.co.uk|jo_leeds
Nov 13, 2007 17:38
GUEST22193 Zuo is 100% right but of course she is a Chinese girl!

I am a Chinese guy but grew up in a Western country. My girlfriend is Chinese and grew up in China. Even though I won't consider myself as "Western" as perhaps a Caucasian man from the West (hey I was brought up by Chinese parents after all) our difference in culture sometimes leads to conflicts in our relationship. But like all relationships, coming to mutual understanding and being sincere about it is very important. Love is not a one-way street. It is hard work! But the return can be the greatest feeling in the world!
Nov 24, 2007 19:44
GUEST88123 If you google the Chinese expresion "老外了吧" (-- aha, you sounded dumb), there will be many online examples.
Dec 14, 2007 03:38
  • LESBUB
I am dating a Chinese girl from Macau, whilst in Macau she is not keen on public displays of affection (which is fine by me), sometimes however I do want to kiss her, out of an overwhelming feeling of love but I have to hold back until we are home. Chinese women are a little more "old fashioned" & I think this is part of the charm when first meeting! Zuo is quite right to state that there are strong cultural differences & I have learnt to accept these as my girlfriend accepts differences here in the UK.
Love should conquer all......
Dec 14, 2007 09:23
  • JCNILE123
My girl friend was just like that, but she is more, a lot more open now days.
It is a cultural thing that she will overcome with the time.
the most helping factor on this matter for acceptance of a change is her self willingness to see things from another angle, I promise you, Chinese woman are very fast learners.
In addition, as they change and adapt to you and you to her, many beautiful details are discover along the way, if you pay attention, and do not only focus on the need of adaptation.
It can be funny and some times a reason to laugh, with a touch of sweet childish craziness along the way.
Al of that can be possible, only if there is a touch of love.
Dec 15, 2007 20:22
  • ICEBLUE
In general, Chinese are still conservative. Chinese are still very cautious on public display of affection.
Laowai is very keen on public display of affection.
Dec 15, 2007 23:22
  • GRIZ326
I think that when you care for a person it is clear to everyone around you how you feel. You do not need to hug or kiss in public for people to know your feelings for someone.

People on the bus in Nanning talked about my gal and I being husband and wife even though we were just standing next to each other.

Genuine warmth and affection is a wonderful thing. Do you need to prove your love by kissing in public? There is no reason to cause offense to the people around you.

Perhaps "public displays of affection" show insecurity. ???
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do Chinese women see laowai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code