Menu
Chinese parents teach children “eat bitter”
Jul 7, 2008 04:35
guestteacher What did the parents teach you in childhood? In China, the tradition of “ eat bitter” has been passed down from generation to generation. “ Eater bitter”is a literal translation of Chinese "吃苦", which refers to endure hardship. People from Sichuan Province are thought to be the ablest to “eat bitter”. Few days ago in a foreign newsletter says that it was the spirit of “eat bitterness” help Sichuan People go through the earthquakes. Communist party also displayed such tradition in the 25,000 Li Long March. Today, Chines parents still taught the children to learn to “eat bitterness” since they were children. The new challenge is that the current generation of young children are the generation of “ Only Child”. China now has a population of 100 millions “only children”. Can the “Little Emperors” be abler to endure hardships than the forefathers? Did your parents teach you some traditions since you were a kid? Was it beneficial for your life?
Jul 7, 2008 05:14
  • DISCOVERY
I am a chinese and a only children.I hate chinese traditional education method.Because that is limit your imagination and curiosity.
Jul 7, 2008 05:16
  • DISCOVERY
I like science so much but there is nothing i can do in china education method!
Jul 7, 2008 21:47
  • LEONARDO
My parents taught me to be humble and "eat bitterness" when I was a little kid. It was good for my growth.

>>I like science so much but there is nothing i can do in china education method!<<

DISCOVERY, your view is too extreme. Although I dislike the traditional educational method too, I still think that the intelligent guy can make a difference under the present educational system.
Jul 8, 2008 06:25
  • JABAROOTOO
There are now all too many of this next generation of 'Little Emperors" who make everyone around them 'eat bitter' with their selfish and disrespectful behaviour towards parents, grandparents and other elders. It amazes me what is acceptable behaviour from some of the 'darlings' that I teach.

One boy aptly named 'Clever' by his mother was pushing another student near the top of the stairs. I cought this action and called him back to my room where I gave him gentle dose of the same.

What was his reaction to me. A very stern rebuke of NO all this in Chinese of course as he learns very little in class.
I think he is clever at maths or science, but I cannot be sure.

So using Chinese I also explained that just as I should not do this, neither could he do this to the other children. I was surprised that he had such well developed personal boundaries but I suspect that no-one is teaching him to respect others in the same way.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the comments on the Chinese Education Model. It really only works at all well for Chinese language acquisition but for all other subjects it is producing little in the way of self motivated free thinkers but of course this is what communism and similar ideologies thrive on.
Jul 8, 2008 16:05
  • YINDUFFY
In the U.S. it is a tradition to try and see that your children have a better life then you had/have. Also the "Golden Rule" applies ;" Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
If you had a poor childhood, you would try to see that your children do not have to suffer. That is not to say that you would not teach them discipline, rather that you would not deliberately allow them to suffer needlessly.
One of the joys of parenthood is to see your children happy and healthy. If they have to endure hardships or bitterness, there had better be a good reason. In fact we work hard to find ways to avoid hardship. In fact we praise those who come up with ideas to make life easier.
Respect for parents is another issue. I think children will lose respect for their parents if they think they are being mean for no reason other than to toughen them up.
Jul 8, 2008 22:09
  • KATRINA
I am with Yinduffy on that "one of the joys of parenthood is to see your children happy and healthy." Parents do their best to ensure their children a smooth life journey. Parents are lenient.
Jan 26, 2012 23:50
GUESTBOSSITTEE Awesome read. I just passed this onto a buddy who was doing some research on that. He just bought me lunch because I found it for him! Thus let me rephrase: Thanks for lunch!

Jan 27, 2012 06:35
  • VANESSAZHONG
Since 1984, China became to adopt a measure as the well-known the "Only Child" policy. Luckily, Iwas born that year. China has a lot of says about "Bitter" and "Sweet", such as ,"Bitter first,sweet later", "Pain past is a pleasure", etc. All of those suggest that we should work hard first and then the happiness will follow gradually. When I was a little girl, my parents had told me over and over. I think it helps me a lot, especially when I confront with some rough conditions.
Last edited by VANESSAZHONG: Jan 27, 2012 06:37
Jan 28, 2012 20:47
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by VANESSAZHONG View Post

Since 1984, China became to adopt a measure as the well-known the "Only Child" policy. Luckily, Iwas born that year. China has a lot of says about "Bitter" and "Sweet", such as ,"Bitter first,sweet later", "Pain past is a pleasure", etc. All of those suggest that we should work hard first and then the happiness will follow gradually. When I was a l...

Well said. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mar 7, 2012 05:20
GUEST17824 As an American, I only encountered this concept when I began working in East Asia.

All I can say is, Considering standard Chinese Management style, its better to grow up with it than without it.

Otherwise You'll take all the idiosyncrasies of Asian workplace culture way too seriously
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese parents teach children “eat bitter”
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code