Menu
Where did pizza originate?
Sep 12, 2008 18:34
  • YINDUFFY
The grease on pizza comes from the melting cheese. If you leave some cheese out in the warm sun it will seem to sweat oil. this is a natural dairy product.
Pizza with pepperoni will have the oil from the pepperoni slices adding to the flavor.
I was raised in New York and I agree that most pizza is not "real pizza". To me pizza should be large and have a thin crust! Toppings like pineapple or onions may taste good but it's just not pizza!
By the way, square Sicilian pizza is OK.
Sep 12, 2008 21:29
  • BARONTWANGLE
Yinduffy. The cheese used on real pizza is mozzerella and does not sweat (Unless it is the cheap American stringy version with lots of additives, and preservatives). I can name many other cheeses which will not sweat, bit none will be made in the US.

You are right about pineapple not being an authentic pizza topping. If you went to Italy and asked for pineapple to be put on your pizza, you would be chased out of the country by a large chef with a rolling pin. Onion does exist as a topping, but there are many American toppings which have and never will appear on an Italian menu. Also, you will rarely find more than 2 toppings used on an authentic pizza (in addition to the basic Margherita which is tomato, herbs, and mozzerella) as this confuses the delicate taste. However, in "Consumer America" where everyone wants as much as they can get, they have to put about 15 toppings on the damn thing before anyone is interested. The result however is that they all taste the same. Try ordering a custom pizza with only 1 or 2 toppings next time. You will get strange looks from the staff, but I guarantee it will taste better.

Another big difference in making authentic pizza is the way it is cooked. A wood fired stove is the proper way, but due to environmental reasons, these are becoming less common in Italy now.

Anyway, another famous Italian food did come from China. Marco Polo missed the noodles, so he had some Italian chefs make then for him in Italy. These are now know as Spaghetti.

Sep 12, 2008 22:16
  • MARRIE
I like boston pizza with thin crust. I have no idea what real Italian pizza look like and how it tastes. But i ate pizza made by an Italian who married a chinese girl. honestly speaking it's really yakee!
Sep 13, 2008 05:00
  • DODGER
I wonder just how many dishes have been corrupted by the “fast food” mentality of modern day living?
It’s a shame that She and others like her will never know the real Pizza.
BTY, you can get really good Italian and French cheese in Beijing.
I did a nice spag bol dish the other night washed down with a nice French red.
Cheers, Dodger
Sep 13, 2008 23:21
  • BARONTWANGLE
You can get some decent cheese here in Guangzhou too, if you know where to look and don't mind paying the price. I often make many dishes with cheese, such as lasagna. My girlfriend is developing quite a taste for it, but she hasn't got into blue cheeses yet.

Incidentally, if anyone in GZ is looking for decent pizza then the two best places I have found so far are the Italian Restaurant (which is exactly what its name suggests!), or Milano. Both are near the Garden Hotel.
Sep 24, 2008 04:37
  • BRITNI
The basic pizza has tomato sauce and cheese on a wheat flour & yeast pancake. Does anyone think they had tomatoes or even cheese in ancient China? Did they even have rising bread? Besides, flat breads are as old as time and in a lot of cultures.Here in the U.S. the varieties that "pizza" is available in are staggering. Toppings defy the imagination. I guess it would be like what they call "fusion" that is a the blending of foods from different cultures. Pizza only became really popular in the U.S. after WW2 and while some consider it junk food it is on the menus of most schools because the basic ingredients are wholesome
--------------------
Britni

[url=http://www.drivenwide.com]Guaranteed ROI[/url]
Sep 24, 2008 21:46
  • BARONTWANGLE
Britini - You are right, pizza can be wholesome, but I have yet to find one in the US. However, it is difficult to find a wholesome salad in the US!
Sep 25, 2008 04:19
  • BBQQ
The picture is not of a real Pizza but a Pizza Hut version.

Dodger, what's the difference between Pizza and Pizza Hut? Can you explain to me with some pictures?
Sep 25, 2008 10:15
  • JCNILE123
I think on my opinion that it do not really matters who invented, but who tuck it to the gold medal podium.

Like most everything in the western world, if it does not go thru America on the way to the top; perhaps it is not the top.

Why? Very simple, America, unlike any other country in the world has been the place where the rest of the world meets and from there it goes on.

Certainly pizza has it’s origins in Italy, but not until America commercialized it to the world was it hardly noticed.

American Chinese restaurateurs understood it as well, Chinese cuisine it is one of the most popular cuisines in the world, but again the people that have been to China knows, that; overseas Chinese cuisine it is not the real thing.

Based on my experience, I think that if Chinese restaurants overseas insisted on the original main land cooking, Chinese Cuisine will be a business failure.

American fast food it is a world economical success and that is the purpose of it.

I heard the Iranian president yesterday at the UN claiming that America as it is. Is just reaching the end,
if so, then perhaps everything will start to go thru Iran on the way to the top.

Sep 25, 2008 22:34
  • DODGER
“I think on my opinion that it do not really matters who invented, but who tuck it to the gold medal podium.

Like most everything in the western world, if it does not go thru America on the way to the top; perhaps it is not the top.”
JC, statements like that only go to reinforce a widely held view by many in the world and used against you by your enemies that Americans are arrogant and ignorant.
Certainly America has lead the world in many areas. Education, Sport, Immigration, to name just a few.
Its food culture is not one of them.
While I’m having a rant I will also point out that anyone with the smallest grasp of European history would know that Italy as we know it today did not come into being until around 1870. Before that date it was made up of Principalities and City states, all with their own distinct culture and language. There is no way that one City would name a dish after a rival.
The French have a word that they use when referring to food and wine. “Terroir”
“Fast Food” by the way that it is produced has lost this vital ingredient .It has no soul.
Chinese food still has it.
It is therefore vital to know where a product originates from otherwise eating just becomes a mechanical action akin to a pit stop.
I would have thought with your cultural heritage you would have known better.
Dodger.
Page 2 of 16    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Where did pizza originate?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code