Menu
Is it wrong to have milk and chocolate together?
Feb 4, 2009 20:49
  • LEOPOLD219
I am told that it is wrong to have milk and chocolate together. Milk is full of protein and calcium. While having milk and chocolate together, calcium reacts with oxalic acid in chocolate to produce calcium oxalate. Calcium oxalate can not be absorbed. If you take it too much, you probably will have dry and brittle hair, suffer from the diarrhea or have calcium deficiency. Therefore, we should have milk and chocolate separately.

Another suggestion: Don’t drink milk on an empty stomach.

Did you ever hear of this?
Feb 5, 2009 00:48
  • WANHU
Indeed chocolate provides oxalic acid, when reacts with calcium in milk to produce calcium oxalate, preventing the calcium from being absorbed in the intestine but the presence of calcium oxalate is too small to have a serious side effect. Nutritionists have found out that chocolate and milk are good for athletic workouts for energy recovery.

Don't drink milk on an empty stomach? Does this include babies?

Wan
Feb 5, 2009 03:42
  • BBQQ
Don’t drink milk on an empty stomach.

I heard this before. It is reasonable. If you drink milk on empty stomach, the nutrients can't be fully digested and absorbed. Better eat something before drinking milk in the morning.

Don't drink milk on an empty stomach? Does this include babies?

Well, this rule mainly applies to the adults. Wan, don't you notice that those babies need to drink their mothers' milk many times a day? They are so easy to get hungry because they can't fully absorb the nutrients in the milk.
Feb 5, 2009 23:14
  • GARYKINKADE
I love chocolate malts....but....they don't love me. Hmmmm.......
Feb 8, 2009 22:14
  • BBQQ
I love chocolate malts....but....they don't love me.

You are allergic to chocolate malts, Gary?
Feb 8, 2009 22:55
  • GARYKINKADE
"Yes Mam"
Or, at least I think so.
But, I keep on drinking them anyway.
What a dumb thing to do.
Feb 9, 2009 11:11
I am told that it is wrong to have milk and chocolate together. Milk is full of protein and calcium. While having milk and chocolate together, calcium reacts with oxalic acid in chocolate to produce calcium oxalate. Calcium oxalate can not be absorbed. If you take it too much, you probably will have dry and brittle hair, suffer from the diarrhea or have calcium deficiency. Therefore, we should have milk and chocolate separately.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Calcium Oxalate is one of the reasons I suffer with Kidney Stones, so there is some truth in this theory.

Alan
Feb 10, 2009 12:38
  • SETH
I had read or seen (TV history channel) some historical stuff on chocolate and its origins. Dark chocolate is thought to be a bit healthier than milk chocolate, but milk chocolate tastes sweeter and lighter than the dark variety. The fact that dark chocolate is mixed with milk to make milk chocolate doesn't seem to support the theories here, but maybe I am just missing something.

For myself, I've never had problems mixing chocolate with milk. Could it be that like so many other foods or combinations of foods, some people have negative and even allergic reactions, while others don't?
Feb 10, 2009 22:06
GUEST7963 Dark chocolate is said to be good for your heart. However, it tastes bitter than white or milk chocolate. For me, I like milk chocolate.
Feb 13, 2009 03:32
  • KEVIN0518
Tomorrow is the Valentine's Day. So better not let your boyfriend send milk chocolate as gift, hehe.
Feb 13, 2009 12:26
  • YINDUFFY
Chocolate flavored milk is on store shelves right next to whole milk, 2% milk and skim milk. Most people here think milk complements chocolate and when asked "What would go well with a slice of chocolate cake?" most will answer a tall glass of cold milk!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it wrong to have milk and chocolate together?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code