Menu
Oh My God! Beating the groom is a tradition in Qingxu County of Shanxi Province
Mar 28, 2013 01:29
  • BBQQ
Qingxu is a county in Taiyuan, the capital of Shanxi Province. There is a strange tradition that has been observed for years. On the wedding day, the groom’s close friends will beat the groom. How do they beat? They hit the groom’s back with their hands. Of course, they won’t hit the groom too hard.

Unfortunately, Li Ruijiang was as lucky as other grooms. His close friends hit him at the banquet and did it again when they teased the bride on the wedding night. His friends were a bit drunk so that they couldn’t control themselves. Although Li felt a bit uncomfortable, he didn’t stop his friends beating him. It was his wedding day and he didn’t want anyone get disappointed.

On the third day after Li’s wedding day, Li was sent to the hospital and went into a coma for more than ten days. Afterwards, he passed away. His mom and sister spent 300,000 RMB at the hospital but couldn’t have saved him. Now they file a lawsuit to the court and hoped those who beat Li could burden the cost.
Apr 2, 2013 11:04
  • WANHU
What kind of tradition is that?
Wan
Apr 12, 2013 03:44
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

What kind of tradition is that?
Wan

Wan, I did search on the internet and found that many places in China observe this tradition. Why do they beat the groom? The heavier they beat the groom, the happier the groom and the bride will be in the future.
Apr 19, 2013 20:35
  • GUNNARF11
Tur att jag gifte mig i Wuhan. Där blev man inte slagen.
Apr 25, 2013 13:11
  • WANHU
Beating the groom with hands or sticks?
Wan
Apr 25, 2013 21:22
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Beating the groom with hands or sticks?
Wan

It varies from place to place. In some areas, the grooms get beaten by hands. In other places, they got beaten by brooms or other "weapons".
May 1, 2013 06:12
  • WANHU
Maybe initially was for fun. But people tend to go overboard and use "strength".
Wan
Post a Reply to: Oh My God! Beating the groom is a tradition in Qingxu County of Shanxi Province
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code