Menu
New Visa & Immigration regulations from July 1st 2013
Jul 4, 2013 04:27
GUEST50239 Will we be able to transfer a tourist or family visa to a z visa in HK? Or will we need to return to our home country to get the z visa? You can't change a tourist visa to a z visa in Beijing anymore.
Jul 4, 2013 11:55
  • SASHA
No more 'F' 6-12months multi... now they do 'L' 2x30 days only.

(confirmed by Hong Kong travel agent who issued F visas before)
Jul 5, 2013 08:37
GUEST47228 Why are there no confirmed details anywhere? It's the 5th of July FFs!
Jul 11, 2013 01:16
GUEST72166 this certainly sucks, I mean come on! China isnt really that great anyways! Why make it so difficult to come here? lol
Sasha are you certain that 2x30 L visa is the best we can get?
Jul 11, 2013 07:29
GUEST19196 Some updates.......

Some good sources are the forums of The Beijinger, Shanghai Expat, Guangzhou Stuff, www.eslcafe.com and Go Kunming. You can easily Google any of these websites and find some answers in their forums.

It seems that most people are still getting renewals on their Z/Residence Permit (working visa). I did say most people, since I have also read that people in Shandong are having to do the process all over again for the renewal of visa which includes the dreaded CBC check? But again, some people are not having a problem getting the renewal which is my hope. Fortunately (or not in my case) I just got a new Resident Permit which does not expire until June 30, 2014. I am hoping that by next summer, things have "chilled down" so to speak and I can get my renewal.

I do have a Chinese wife who does business in another city, and I am hoping again that I can live with her and get a L visa/Resident Permit from them. However, I cannot work, or at least not be a teacher. I am somewhat tired of teaching and would like to try my hand at doing other business.

The government in my opinion is "cracking down" on the foreigners, and want many of them gone. Anyone caught working on tourist visas are deported and banned from China for up to 10 years. The Entry Exit office in the city you wish to live in has full discretion on the length of the visa or if the visa an even be approved. Another draconian measure is on contracts, a school or workplace can cancel one's contract, report it to the government and the foreigner can be fined, imprisoned and deported for the 10 years. In short, they are not *** around.

The F visa thing will be very curtailed. This is one abuse in the system ( in their minds and it is true to an extent). No more just going to Hong Kong whenever to get an F and make a return. Probably too many tourist visas will also raise the flag and denied remittance.

My interest is how will this will affect business people and owners of businesses (like bars). What kind of visa are they on?

What sucks in all of this, is that no one, including the local PSBs really know what is what and although it might be good to try to get some information from them and they are truthful, who knows what the next day, week or months will bring. It is a big, bad, stupid waiting game.

China for so many years used to be such a soft touch when it came to visas, but mostly because of evil pedophiles, drunks, pot sellers and nincompoops, they are making it harder for the rest of us here. There were at least three different stories of registered pedophiles working in Chinese schools. Just a short time ago, a drunk foreigner sexually assaulted a Chinese woman. All the crazies have decided to come up at totally the wrong time.

Jul 14, 2013 22:38
  • SASHA
Hi GUEST19196, thanks for your detailed update.

So new visa rules are worst so far, and seems it will only get worse in the future... Luckily I live in Hong Kong, but I must visit China for busines each week (thanks to good old 'F/12').

And you're absolutely right: except China government, we can also blame all those irresponsible foreigners who see China as one big disco-party and do nothing but trouble...

Guangzhou is the worst, in area around Garden Hotel you literally cannot walk at night without being harassed by dozens of African drug-dealers and South American prostitutes... One night I had dinner there with my friend, and one Westerner asked us "where he can buy drugs here"... WTF?
Police doesn't care at all, which is part of the problem too.
Jul 16, 2013 02:38
GUEST29223 Hello, I'm a bit confused about new visas regulations. My F business visa will expire on the 8th of Semptember. I would like to extend it before expiration without leaving China . Is it still possible???? I need new 6month visa with 2 entries. I will aprreciate any advise
Jul 19, 2013 01:42
GUEST26912 Can anyone recommend on what would be my best option.

I will be employed by a HK company but the parent company is in Shanghai, China so i'll need to make regular visits, maybe duration longer than 30 days (if possible). I heard stuff about being an M visa. See the link http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/guangzhou/articles/blogs-guangzhou/guangzhou-news/breakdown-chinas-new-visa-rules1/

So am a bit confused as to what i can do. I would like to have a business visa as at least it shows proof that i was working somewhere and can therefore get a Z visa after getting 2 years relevant experience.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 19, 2013 08:53
  • SASHA
@ GUEST26912

I always used Business 6/12months multi-entry, but as you know they stopped issuing it now...

Agency in HK said it's not sure is it temporary thing, they told me to be patient and wait for a few months and see (my current visa will expire in December).

You see in that interview Mr. Cheng also said it's "suspended for a while...", so let's hope it's really just for a 'while'... I contacted him, and he said nothing is sure now, check few months later...

If they really kill '12/6m multi', it will be disaster for all frequent business visitors, myself included.

If you need to go soon, then you better let your HK company check what is the longest 'M' visa they could make now... if not then 2x30 tourist visa is the only way.
Last edited by SASHA: Jul 19, 2013 08:57
Jul 21, 2013 20:34
GUEST26882 Thanks Sasha,

I spoke to an agent also, but they seem to have no clue what an M visa was... And i stated many times that there was a new regulation. They assured me that its still an F visa but the max stay is 30 days, (i'm still skeptical).

I was wondering would the policy be the same back in the UK. It would be worth a flight back to the UK if i was able to get a multiple entry for a year.

All the information im finding at the moment are all confusing, most sites are not even updated... This forum is the only thing i see as helpful.

Many thanks for your help
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: New Visa & Immigration regulations from July 1st 2013
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code