Shanghai experience

Written by Nov 6, 2007 06:00
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

My time in Shanghai for Business

I live in SE Asia, but originally form the UK.
I was used to seeing poverty, but for many visitors it may come as a very sharp shock to see the poverty of the older tenements beside newer, sleek apartments.
Much of the older buildings not yet pulled down have large posters to "curtain" their 'embarrassing' appearance to Westerners. This is the case along long stretches of highway.
Unless you're incredibly knowledgeable about authentic Chinese food- the Chinese food in China will be a bit of a shock- be warned
it is NOTHING like you've ever experienced in the West. It is totally different.

Shanghainese do not usually eat rice with their meal and some of the dishes are quite strange for a Westerner's palate- such as cold tripe, duck tongue, pig spine, and other delicacies I was offered- I can fully appreciate their intent- but my stomach wasn't so keen.
Table manners are somewhat of a Western bourgeoisie affectation for most Chinese- including the wealthier classes- so do not be shocked, or revolted by frequently snorting, dephlegming of throats, open mouth chewing, spitting out of bones or reaching over one another's used chopsticks to get at communal dishes.

Most Shanghainese speak Shanghainese amongst themselves and Mandarin only to the serving staff or underlings.
Toilets inside typical factories, office blocks and everyday people malls are horrendous, sometimes dual-gender. Hold your nose and try not to think too much about the Jackson Pollock impressions everywhere,
Female hygiene with regard to disposal of sanitary pads and other intimate ladies' articles of convenience may come as an unpleasant surprise to female travelers- be warned. Do';t be shocked to find one toilet shared amongst males and females.
Squat pans are more common than a western 'throne'. And others' aim is not always dead-centre,
The weather was mild- but hazy and the air smelt of plastics even in Nanjing Road.
Pudong is very nice- but the hotels are really pricey and the rooms quite small by international standards.
Faucet or tap water is completely undrinkable- so don't try- you'll be incredibly sick like I was.
Be wary of all kinds of sellers- they'll try and play some trick on you- but this is typical for most of Asia- we;ve still not yet shrugged off the loaded gullible Westerner image yet.
Be careful with counterfeiting and RMB notes- especially 100's. I was told by my business partners- to make sure you check your money in the bank in front of the teller by the teller if possible- to be certain they are not counterfeit. I discounted their caution as being silly- until I got one fake not back as change in a hotel- luckily they had a black-light lamp their and acknowledge their unintended error.
There are lots of hookers lurking about hotels and they are not shy about approaching Western men- not the best if you're traveling with your wife.
I heard from both my Chinese business friends and other English business man that Chinese female staff and or guides will turn tricks for cash- and so do not be shocked to be offered.

When doing business deals- be polite but firm. Always accept gifts two handed. Smile frequently. Do not be apprehensive about extended periods of silences and mutual exchange of smiles- if there's nothing to talk about most Chinese won't make small-talk and will sit silently instead. Laugh politely at rather banal jokes- it's just polite.
Face is very important- make sure you never single your potential colleague out, especially publicly, for rebuke or criticism- choose words very carefully.
Bring a fluent Chinese speaker with you at all occasions- misunderstandings are easy and common- just be patient- keep smiling and communicate in clear, simple English and allow the translator to do their job. It also brings the price of goods down more to a Chinese local level as opposed to 'gullible Westerner' exorbitant price. Never expect the same price as the locals- you'll never get it- but do ask your translator in confidence whether they think your quoted price is fair or not- most commonly they're very honest and will side with you.

Careful giving out money to beggars- most are pan-handles. Once you give it to one- it's like a feeding frenzy and you'll be hounded. Don't feel bad about refusing to give- just make small 'no' waves (a palm-outward, fingers upward- revolve wrist in small Left-Right shakes)- this seems very common in Asia as a sign of no thanks.
Security guards don't really care what goes on outside their building- their job is to keep the beggars and such out- so they won't help you being swarmed by many outstretched palms. I was told begging is illegal- but people do it. Heaven knows whether they're truly poor or not- but most likely their scam-artists.

Poverty is quite visible ten minutes from the city centre- you'll see very grubby bikes, trishaws and scooters. People washing/cutting/skinning vegetables in the street gutter, often less than 20 metres of a fancy restaurant or club.

My experience- odd but interesting.

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. A Trip in Shanghai LIZXLI from CN Jul 1, 2007 06:07
2. My observations INCOGNITO777 Jun 15, 2007 04:06
3. Seeing Shanghai LEMONCACTUS from CN Mar 29, 2007 00:03
Comments (1)

Nov 6, 2007 21:55 Reply

LEONARDO said:

STARSTYLERS,

Yeah, just like you said, your experience is a little bit odd. It seems that Shanghainese has left a bad impression on you. However, poverty is an universally existing problem, not only in Shanghai, but also in other international metropolises like New York and London. I am not sure whether you are still in Shanghai now. Is Shanghai still like the case you described in your review. For me, it sounds that it was the case of Shanghai in early 1990s or even much earlier. As far as I know, Shanghai has changed a lot in recent years. Many bussinessmen flocked into Shanghai to invest. There are numerous foreign investors in Shanghai, which probably testifies that Shanghai is a land of opportunity . Otherwise, why are there many foreign investors in Shanghai?

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.