Yangshuo changes from 1984

Written by Apr 14, 2004 16:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

The pictures of West Street came as somewhat of a shock to me. When I went to this lovely place in 1984 there were less than 3-4 foreign tourists. No signs were in English. I stayed in an unpretentious room in a hotel with a central courtyard. Dinner was taken in a poorly lit restaurant where I sat for many hours holding the owners baby in my lap as I simply relaxed and watched the family. There were bikes for rent and I went with a friend to the countryside for an afternoon. I met another traveler who was out too late one day to get back to town, so a family took him in. He slept in a large bed with the entire family under one big blanket. From the pictures on this site it looks like this place has become yet another "hip" tourist trap. It is completely unrecognizable. I am glad I went when I did.

Michael Leach

More Yangshuo Travel Reviews
Comments (1)

Feb 19, 2005 20:25 Reply

ARTIST said:

it is all about progress, west street is just the surface, you still can get the home stay place behind the west streetand you can also trek from gingping along the river bank it is a better sight seeing trip than taking the rip-off boat trip in the lijiang

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.