came back from North Korea

Written by Mar 17, 2010 08:38
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

As a person who has been reading about North Korea for many years, particularly since its unfortunate branding by George Bush, I found that all the research I had done paled into insignificance when compared to the experience of travelling there.

The initial train ride is a real eye opener and really is a fast track introduction to North Korea. Regardless of its age, the train has a very warm, homely feel, and the guides made the ride all the more enjoyable by participating in games like hangman. It was even nice to sit with a few members of the train staff. Even if you speak a few words of Korean, they are still warm and friendly, even if they are a little shy at first.

The landscape is beautiful, particularly Mount Myohang which houses the international friendship exhibition centre. The centre has the feeling of a James Bond or a sci fi movie, a vast maze of rooms, marble flooring and bright lighting.

The Yangakdo hotel is excellent, well presented with some great restaurants, facilities, and ultra fast elevators. Warm and friendly restaurant staff who do their best to cater to you. I was even asked if I would prefer European breakfast, showing that they really will go out their way to please you.

All meals were very filling and you are provided with more than you can eat, and eating in a Pyongyang restaurant was a great experience. It even had the homely feel of some restaurants back home, but you can never forget that you are in North Korea.

The trip to the DMZ is a definite high point, and the soldiers are friendly. Just go with an open mind and listen to their take on the Korean War and you will have a great time.

Be prepared for plenty of time on the road, which is a wonderful feature. Just sit back and absorb as much of the country as you can. It is a unique experience to go along roads with such few traffic and see such beautiful lakes and mountains.

One thing pleasant surprise was been able to load up my camera with photos. The only time my guides restricted photography was on the train. It is always worth asking the guides before photographing, but I found myself asking permission much more than necessary. They are much more liberal than you would assume.

The guides were great. They enjoy talking with you, and my English speaking guide was keen to learn about England, and appreciated my interest in North Korea.

Just go with an open mind and no preconceived notions, as no amount of research can prepare oneself for the experience of North Korea.

More Other Travel Reviews
1. One month in Liuyang BANOSD from US Nov 13, 2009 15:38
2. Travel China 9 cities PAPAALHAWAII from US Jun 2, 2009 04:26
3. Eight Days CHRISWAUGHBJ from CN Mar 8, 2007 02:03
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.