Pearl of the Orient

Written by Sep 25, 2005 05:09
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

<A>Student in Shanghai---2005

The prospect of Shanghai was an extraordinary opportunity to escape chaotic school life and to venture to one of the most spectacular cities of the Far East, if not the world. An ultra-modern city with ancient history and traditions, magnificent gardens and beautiful parks, and certainly some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met, it was indubitably the most memorable experience of my life.
Getting there are few days prior to the start of the Sports and Language course arranged by the British Council, we went to Nanjing Road, the most famous shopping street in China. Here we witnessed a bustling modern city, full of life; advertisements were everywhere, and restaurants and shops of all kinds surrounded us. The Chinese people we met that day were incredibly welcoming, and it was truly the first time we sampled authentic Chinese cuisine. From what we could see, Shanghai was an impeccably clean city, with no sign of litter anywhere. The architecture was very impressive, and a welcome change to European-style buildings. Our view of the Bund was spectacular, across the Huang Pu river; a futuristic showcase of a developing superpower.
The next day we went up the Pearl Tower, giving us spectacular views of the city. Once again, we wandered around the nearby area, and I was astounded by just how benevolent the Chinese people were. No matter who they were, they were helpful, kind and extremely talkative. The Chinese children were fascinated by us, and understandably so, as we stood out quite a lot. In fact, some of us were compelled to take photographs of us! Some of us decided to have our names in calligraphy framed, created with great skill by the artist. The MagLev train was particularly exciting, as it transported us from one part of Shanghai to another at speeds of over 400 kilometres per hour! I suppose the most shocking aspect of Shanghai was how cheap everything seemed to us: many of our Chinese meals, which consisted of fairly large portions, were sometimes just over a few pounds!
We stayed at the International Division of Shanghai Jincai High School, one of the top schools in China. The opening ceremony was successful, with our short introduction going off without a hitch. The performances by the students of the Jincai school were amazing, especially the Chinese traditional music played by some very skilled musicians. At the end, we wrote messages and wishes on either the London 2012 or Beijing 2008 murals, which were painted with the help of the special school. Afterwards, we were partnered with a Chinese student. They all spoke excellent English, and were very outgoing.
Every morning after breakfast, we spent half and hour practising a Kung-Fu routine, using fans given to us by the institute. We all agreed that the fans were the best part of the exercise, as they opened fluidly with a very satisfying sound. (Unfortunately, some of us were a little too excited by them!) Most of the time, we were taught Mandarin in the morning and had culture lessons shortly afterwards, which ranged from Chinese history to Chinese Music, all of which were compelling. In the afternoons, we played sports with our Chinese partners, ranging from Tai Chi to football. Many of us enjoyed playing sports which were fairly common to us, such as softball, but which the Chinese students had never played before. After just a few days, many of us got to know the students very well, and we all became very good friends. We all enjoyed the cultural lessons, which included Chinese knot making, Chinese history, painting, music and theatre, paper-cutting, seal-carving and tea-culture.
Other days, we were treated to seeing the sites of Shanghai. The evening boat trip on the river gave us unrivalled views of the city illuminated at night; Xintiandi was an unorthodox blend of western restaurants and unusually expensive shops; the neighbouring city of Suzhou was breathtaking, with Tiger’s Hill and its pagoda standing out as the one of the most mysterious pieces of architecture I have ever seen. The acrobatic circus was incredible, with some unbelievable stunts being performed, and the opera was…different, to say the least. We were even taught various forms of martial arts for a day by some of China’s top coaches.
Arguably the best day out was to the Yu Yuan Gardens, which were beautiful and captivating. The Chinese students accompanied us that day, and after the visit to the gardens, we spent some time walking around the Old Town of Shanghai, were many of us bought some great souvenirs, including Chinese chess sets and silk fans. Meeting the people there was perhaps the best part of the day; again, they were as friendly as ever.
Towards the end of our three week stay, we went to what was dubbed a ‘bootleg market’, and for good reason. We all spent our time haggling down the price of fake clothes and shoes, or searching for some Chinese souvenirs, such as water paintings or Chinese seals. Needless to say, we found plenty of both. Both haggling and conversing with the hundreds of sellers there proved to be an outstanding experience.
One of the most memorable days was spent at our Chinese partner’s house, with their family. My Chinese friend and his family took me to Lu Xun Park, named after the famous writer, which was adorned with expansive lakes, intricate stone bridges, large overhanging trees, water calligraphy on the pavements, and of course, the outgoing Chinese people. Afterwards, we went to a hotpot restaurant, wherein you order uncooked items, such as meat or vegetables, leave them in the boiling spicy/non-spicy liquids for awhile, then take them out and eat them when they are ready. Lastly, there was the exchange of gifts: they appreciated my offering, and I was overjoyed to receive a Jade Dragon talisman, which represents my Chinese zodiac sign. My Chinese family made me feel as if I had known them for years rather than days, and I hope to return to see them as soon as possible.
The typhoon we experienced on the last few days was in stark contrast to the sunny, humid weather we had previously; almost hurricane-force winds and torrential rain didn’t discourage us from eating in a revolving restaurant twenty-eight floors high, or from wandering around in Nanjing Road spending the last of our Chinese money.
The closing ceremony allowed us to express our appreciation for the excellent teaching staff at Jincai, and for the students for making it the most memorable trip of our lives. Furthermore, in front of an uncomfortable number of cameras, we donned our Kung Fu silk clothes and performed the sequence we had been practising for the last few weeks.
When we walked onto our plane, which would take us on the exhaustingly long journey home, we all had an empty feeling in our stomachs. From the culture to the gardens, the sights and sounds to the people, we knew we would miss it all greatly. Returning home felt strange; it was good to be back, but we all felt there was something missing. Unquestionably, Shanghai was the missing piece.

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. my fortune telling experience STLGIRL Sep 15, 2005 10:09
2. quiet places in Shanghai STLGIRL Sep 15, 2005 09:09
3. 4 lovely days in Shanghai RMCONLEY from AU Sep 11, 2005 17:09
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.