Chongqing - the first impression

Written by Nov 18, 2005 05:11
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Review - 01

For someone that's never been to Chongqing its an amazing and fascinating place. Your first impression is of a lawless society with a somewhat smelly and downtrodden street scape - huge concrete structures dominate the city sky-line and an underling urban filth seems to have been built up over many years. My first impression was of a post apocalyptic city. The dirt, the smell, the architecture - all reminiscent of a world very different to what i had been used too. However, after a few weeks you begin to discover its a deep rooted tapestry of social networks which mesh to form a diverse vibrant community.

The city of Chongqing is going through an epic re-model... Did i say epic? i meant monolithic - due to the government reforms and joint venture capital. Lots of the old style "classic" Chongqing architecture - black and white nested building perched upon the banks of the Jialing River and Yangtze River, are a shadow of their former glory. Although, efforts have been made to tart-up some of the more obviously outstanding heritage structures.
Due to Japanese air raids over the city during the war time years, lots of the old buildings were lost, and old and dilapidated areas are now being removed, replaced, and remodelled, with most part, multi-story building complexes and security apartments, shops and office space.
Modernisation is getting a foot hold, but you get the feeling that the general populous have no great part to play in it's development, and go about there business as per the hours of the day permit. Scraping together a few hundred yuan per month. They sell and offer all manor of services and goods otherwise outlawed by political correctness and public-liability in the west eons ago.
Street hawlkers offer fur and goods brought in from the country. Lots of cheap and reproduction goods of all kinds, fakes and copied items - from T-shirts, to potery and CD's. Evern cars and motorbikes are sold with fake papers. Several weeks ago it was pointed out to me that the bag of candy i was not really enjoying was a fake item. Such is the extent of the Chinese willingness to capitalise on sound products and brands form the west or otherwise.

In most part however, the sea of humanity that overwhelms the city streets - i get a feeling of happiness and contentment and an air of general disbelief writen on their faces. A feeling i rarely felt in western cities. The Innocent nature of the inhabitants seem to be unveiled of the pretentious egos otherwise found in more developed countries around the world. The hustle and bustle here even though manic, still retains a manageable pace. That, i think, is attributed to the lack of serious traffic congestion.

The Old City

There are parts of the old city left, and covering large areas. Siqikou is the main destination for travelers and locals alike - with great shopping - arts and crafts etc. Interesting people and vistas. Travelling out of the city you can find both Buddhist and Communist relics of days past, forested areas and mountain villages, where time in some respects seems to have stood still. The surrounding area of Chongqing is famous for its bamboo forests and have been used as location sets in films like crouching tiger and hidden dragon.

Ben

More Chongqing Travel Reviews
1. <A> SECRETS OF CIQIKOU JABAROOTOO from CN Oct 28, 2005 09:10
2. <A> COLOURS OF CHONGQING -- FIRST IMPRESSIONS JABAROOTOO from CN Oct 28, 2005 08:10
3. <A> GONGTAN GOING, GOING, GONE JABAROOTOO from CN Oct 7, 2005 08:10
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.