Hotel security in Shanghai

Written by Feb 5, 2006 03:02
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Holiday Inn Security in Shanghai

During a recent visit to the Holiday Inn near the Shanghai main railway station my briefcase was stolen while I was standing at the front desk registering. I had set my briefcase at my feet and presented my passport for registration. I was the only one registering. In plain view of 3 desk clerks, 1 security guard, 1 bellman, 1 doorman, 2 locals walked in, stood behind me and while the desk clerk distracted me, took my brief case. (with notebook PC and many other valuables). This is verified by the Holiday Inn video tape and report. Yet the Holiday Inn Shanghai refused to compensate me for the loss and while the general manager of the Holiday Inn, promised me full compensation many times still has not provided any compensation.
The Shanghai Police did an excellent job of reporting the incident and in recovering my briefcase but NOT the valuables. They provided very professional police officers for my protection during a "sting" operation to recover the briefcase (less the valuable contents)

The Holiday Inn on the other hand, had their insurance company lawyer call and harass me duing a business meeting, claiming it was all my own fault. Seems they do not think it was an inside job?
If you would like a detailed copy of the transcript of this bold robbery send me an email.
I have been traveling in Asia 20 years and never been robbed or had anything stolen because I'm very cautious traveler. I did not expect to be robbered while registering at a 4 ? star Holiday Inn Hotel in Shanghai. I also expected the GM to keep his word on compensation.
TC

Holiday Inn Security II in Shanghai

The next morning after the robbery. I received a telephone call from the some local Chinese who had found my briefcase in the river. They were asking for a reward. I commented no problem but the reward would depend on the contents. They would not deliver it to the hotel so I turned the matter over to the police. The Holiday Inn Shanghai, provided 1 security guard for my personal security but he spent most of his time on a cell phone.
The Shanghai police provided excellent security and support for my personal safety. We successfully recovered the briefcase and some important papers but none of the valuable items like Notebook PC or currencies.
The Shanghai Police did a terrific job of documenting everything and keeping me informed.
The Holiday Inn Shanghai spent their time claiming they had no responsibiity and it was the guest who was responsible for security in the lobby! Apparently, 3 clerks, 1 security guard, 1 bellman and 1 doorman are there to assit the locals who come to rob guests while registering. The Holiday Inn Shanghai has 6 video cameras in the lobby and driveway. They refuse to show the video tape to me. Wonder why? Does it show what their employees were doing during the robbery?
A copy of the police report, the Holiday Inn Shanghai incident report and a detailed account of my personal experience are available by email.
TC

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. <A> Shanghai – between modernity and tradition MUSCAT Jan 27, 2006 07:01
2. <A> A Trip Through Time in Shanghai INATWINKLING Jan 7, 2006 09:01
3. <A>Shanghai: The City of Yesterday and Tomorrow DAUNTLESS Jan 7, 2006 07:01
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.