By Train through the Night

Written by Apr 21, 2006 22:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Shenyang-Beijing

Rumours abound to the effect that trains in China are crowded, dirty, uncomfortable - like those in India. But my experience was quite different. However, I am not in a position to make a judgement because I travelled only once on a long-distance train. That was in March 2005, the night express from Shenyang to Beijing. I was booked by hard seat, but to me having spent 40 years on Indian trains, it was pure luxury. The cleanliness was impeccable, the courtesy flawless. I enjoyed every moment of the journey, even though it was for 10 hours through the night. The air-conditioning was just right. The hot water was laid on for tea. The bedding was spotless, the bunk comfortable. I recall comparing the price with that of a comparative Indian journey and finding it more than reasonable.

Congrats to China Rail - they did me good. I strongly recommend this tri p to anyone who happens to be up north in China.

More Other Travel Reviews
1. Love at First Sight KEVINWARDCFC from IE Apr 21, 2006 10:04
2. Sara's travelogue Beijing NIHAOCHINA from CN Mar 23, 2006 00:03
3. Sara's travelogue NIHAOCHINA from CN Mar 23, 2006 00:03
Comments (1)

Apr 24, 2006 02:27 Reply

PINETREE said:

My impression of China's train rides are very fine too.
But what you heard of are quite true to an extent during the peak seasons which you must avoid at all cost !
They are centred 1-2 weeks around the Lunar New Year, May 1st(Labour Day) & China National Day(1st Oct). The peak of the peaks is the Lunar New Year.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.