<A> Lake Soup

Written by Apr 26, 2006 00:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Sometimes we step into unfamiliar places, but the nice part is we always step back someplace we know. These last few weeks I have gone around a bit, and have been surprised how nice it is to both travel around, and to return to my familiar city and surroundings. So set the heat to simmer, and join me on another step through this Brief Wok in China.
A few weeks ago a couple other foreign teachers and I, were invited to go to a city known as Qiandao Lake. It is south of Fuyang, and known for its clean air and beautiful scenery. So I piled into a van, and headed out on a three hour drive through the Chinese country side. Yellow flowers, maybe canola, grow everywhere, which coupled with rivers, and green hills, make for a pleasant ride. The purpose of the trip was not only to show us some scenery of China, but also to make an appearance at a local high school there. Thus, the appearance paid all the fees. The first night we went out to eat. Qiandao Lake is a man made lake. The valley where there were once were villages is now the lake bed, and the tops of the hills and mountains are now islands, and cities. The people take great pride in the lake and it shows in the cuisine. All the dishes, were cooked in a soup, which simmers all day, giving a perfect blend of flavors, that just by biting into a single piece of pork, I found myself transported back to Italy, sitting in Naples, were they cook in much the same manner. The style of cooking was so different than anything I had seen, that I had to ask, if the water for the dishes came from the lake. To which I was proudly informed that yes, but not only from the lake, but deep in the lake. I don’t know what makes deep water more tasty than shallow, but cool. I thought it amazing though to see how the topography of the land, had such a large influence on the local cuisine, and if you’ll excuse the pun, it was a very, very good influence.
The next day we went to the high school to make the appearance. I can honestly say I now know how a WWF superstar feels. It was crazy. They cheered for us when we walked in, they took pictures of us walking through the halls, and talk about the autographs. I felt so weird, because I had student after student asking for my autograph, but the faculty wanted us to do something else, so it was like ok no more autographs, ok one more, ok last one. It was quite a surreal feeling.
After our time at the school, we went out to eat again, and enjoyed that wonderful, slow cooked soupy food one more time. We then went for a walk around the lake, and headed back.
A couple weeks later I found myself taking a dreaded trip to Shanghai. I did not like Shanghai when I was there before. Too big, too busy, too crowded. Yet, I had the task ahead of me to take the Foreign Service Exam again. I guess I figure, well I can’t date here, so I have to get my fill of rejection somehow. The great part of the trip was that I found a whole new Shanghai. Maybe because I have a map, or know a little Chinese now or maybe because I knew when the trip was done I was going someplace a little saner. Whatever the reason, I found it fairly easy to navigate through the city, and get where I needed to go. The best part of the trip was finding a Brazilian all you can eat Steak House near the US consulate. Needless to say the Brazilian consulate is in the area. Oh yes the joys of the all you can eat Brazilian eatery. I sat with my plate of beef, pork, lamb, and chicken, and just kept bringing out more and more, and I was in eating heaven. After dinner I found a hotel and rested up for the test the next day. So I took the FSE again. I guess maybe I hope that if they see me fail it in enough foreign countries then they will give me a bye on it. While in Shanghai I was also able to eat at Pizza Hut, and attend church services, which was very nice. Unfortunately I had to rush right after church to head back. I took the train from Shanghai to Hangzhou, and then in Hangzhou was to take a bus back to Fuyang. The bus only costs 9 RMB. Unfortunately I could not find the bus station. So it got later, and later, and I was anxious to just return to my city, so I did the unthinkable and took a taxi. Normally I avoid taxis at all cost and yell at taxi drivers when they try to solicit me. Now I found myself in the precarious predicament of having to search one out. I found one who was quite happy to take me for the cost of 150 RMB. At first thought this sounds expensive, especially when compared to the price of a bus, but considering earlier one had quoted 200 RMB, and that fact that comparatively 150 RMB is less than $10, I said, wow what a deal, let’s go. It was interesting, just because it made me rethink how mean I am to taxi drivers, and the driver was very nice. I got to practice all 5 Chinese phrases I know, and found out he was from Beijing. After the long days journey I finally made it back.
These last few days also saw me having my Birthday here in China. The big 29. Yes finally over the hill. It’s funny to think that I’ve had two birthdays in a row, in foreign lands. I just went to a nearby city, Hangzhou and bought some movies. Later in the evening one of my students had invited me to a party. It was a celebration for some type of community website, and was very fun. They had games, and songs, and acknowledged my birthday. I don’t know how many times I was up on the stage that night, but again felt a bit like a WWF superstar. They even had a cake for everyone who has a birthday in April, so I didn’t have to go cake-less.
The next day I went for a local tour of a paper making factory. It looked pretty old, and they actually make paper in the old fashioned style there which was interesting to see.
So it's time for my anachronism for this month. A few scenes of sanitation, or lack there of. The first that will forever be burned into my mind is the image of a man in a business suit, standing indoors at the train station and farmer blowing (an open expulsion of snot from the nose straight to the outside surroundings) right there in a public place. Yes I cringed and sure as heck watched my step. The second comes from the local supermarket, where patrons are free to handle the meat, which is not wrapped. I don’t really feel a need to feel meat before I buy it, but hey, maybe there’s a trick to it.
For a Brief Wok this is James saying,”I don’t know I think I need to squish that hamburger through my fingers before I buy it.”

More Zhejiang Travel Reviews
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.